Talk

Advanced search

Rosalind or Nerea?

(15 Posts)
Novia Sat 01-Sep-12 22:49:37

The baby will be half English/half Spanish and have a (very) Spanish surname. Poor kid is already lumbered if it's a boy, but girl's names are my domain!

Originally I loved Rose/Rosa, but there seem to be quite a lot around and Rosalind is a nice variation. Also love Nerea (ne-ray-ah) which is quite an old-fashioned Spanish name (it means 'mine').

What do you think?

gymboywalton Sat 01-Sep-12 22:50:07

rosalind definitely

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 01-Sep-12 22:54:00

I love Rosalind.

I also love Paloma, not on your list i know, sorry, but a friend of mine with a very spanish surname called her dd that.

baskingseals Sat 01-Sep-12 22:56:09

i love all the Rose names. just beautiful.
like Nerea, but love Rosalind.

Novia Sun 02-Sep-12 08:48:00

Thanks guys - I guess my only very slight reservation with Rosalind is that it will be abbreviated to Roz. Hard to abbreviate Nerea!

fanjodisfunction Sun 02-Sep-12 08:54:23

Like them both. But agree about Roz.

How about Rosalina.

fanjodisfunction Sun 02-Sep-12 08:55:12

Pronounced Rosa-lee-na

Not Roz-a-lee-na

Ham69 Sun 02-Sep-12 08:56:51

Another vote for Rosalind. Could you use Rosa as a nn?

OrangeFireandGoldashes Sun 02-Sep-12 08:59:19

Definitely Rosalind. Nerea sounds pretty but will probably be mispronounced as Ne-ree by people who see it written down before they hear it.

Novia Sun 02-Sep-12 10:29:41

I like Rosalina too, but not as much as Rosalind (which will be Rosalinda in Spain). DH won't go for it though! smile

I think the thing about NNs is that with the best will in the world, you can't make other people call them what you want! smile

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Sun 02-Sep-12 11:41:37

Rosalinda is lovely. She'll only be Roz if she wants to be. She could as easily be a Rosa as a nickname. People do tend to take your lead with nicknames. When Edwards are known as Ted you rarely get others randomly calling them Ed or Ned unless they are encouraged, for example.

Nerea is lovely, but is likely to be mis-pronounced in the UK, and many people will assume it is made up. So it depends if either of those things bother you. Some people wouldn't care, others would mind. I would probably have guessed Ney-ree s the pronounciation.

Novia Sun 02-Sep-12 20:31:12

Thanks guys - hadn't really thought about Nerea being mispronounced here as in Spanish you say every letter in the word (if that makes sense?!) The other thing is that long term we do hope to move to Spain and weirdly Nerea is more conventional there than Rosalind!

I think Rosalind edges it for me overall (though DH isn't keen). Totally going to end up tossing a coin in the delivery room! grin

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Sun 02-Sep-12 20:57:12

It does make sense. And actually, from the little Spanish I know, if I had known it was a Spanish name I probably would have pronounced it correctly. It's just in a vacuum of information I would have got it wrong, if that makes sense.

openerofjars Sun 02-Sep-12 21:01:43

I have a tiny Rosalind (13 weeks) and we call her Rosie at the moment. I love all the diminutives of her name but then I am a bit biased! I think it means "beautiful rose" in Spanish.

Nerea is nice too but I'm not sure it works as well in English.

Yika Sun 02-Sep-12 21:15:22

I love both. Had never heard of Nerea but it sounds lovely. Sounds like a water nymph or something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now