Talk

Advanced search

Summer, May, June, April, Autumn.... Have to be born then?

(39 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Fri 24-Aug-12 09:30:23

So... Could you have a DD born in December and call her April? Or Summer? Etc...

What's the etiquette on this kind of name?

StormGlass Fri 24-Aug-12 09:32:48

I'd think it was a bit odd if I met an April or a Summer who'd been born in December.

picnicbasketcase Fri 24-Aug-12 09:33:26

I think it makes people wonder if the baby's parents are a wee bit dopey if they have a December born baby and name her Summer. But it is a nice name and there's not really any reason why it shouldn't be used. So erm... That's helpful.

MadStaringEyes Fri 24-Aug-12 09:35:54

I know a summer born in January. Her patents said its because she's a little ray of sunshine.

MammaTonic Fri 24-Aug-12 10:21:29

I think it makes sense, but it isn't imperative. MadStaringEyes gave a good example as to why.

MT

Psammead Fri 24-Aug-12 10:22:50

It wouldn't sit right with me. I wouldn't be able to use Octavia unless the number 8 was in some way significant either blush But then, name meanings are very important to me. I wouldn't bat an eyelid at anyone else's decisions though!

MrsRhettButler Fri 24-Aug-12 10:24:31

I think no, you do not have to be born then.

<Gavel>

Well that's that sorted.

snowchick1977 Fri 24-Aug-12 10:24:34

Dd due in 8 weeks and we are naming her Summer. We like the name. It's as simple as that smile

amck5700 Fri 24-Aug-12 10:38:05

I know a June born in April - but I never really give it much thought - as far as I know, her parents struggled with a name and the deadline was in June and they still hadn't decided by then so simply called her June - they could have called her April!

ViviPru Fri 24-Aug-12 12:29:49

My friend's just named her August baby 'May' I don't get it, but haven't said anything - she's happy smile

MrsJohnDeere Fri 24-Aug-12 12:41:11

I know a Summer born in Feb, an April born in July, and a June born in Dec (all adults). No one gives it a second thought.

TooImmatureTurtleDoves Fri 24-Aug-12 12:59:42

I couldn't. I like the name Autumn but was having a March baby. That's just me, though.

manhattansunset Fri 24-Aug-12 14:57:34

I'd only ever use seasonal names if the baby was also born then, sorry!

serendipity16 Fri 24-Aug-12 17:08:56

I have a Summer who was born in February.
Personally don't see the problem & haven't even thought about it.
If you love a name, use it no matter what month your baby is born in.

LilyCocoplatt Fri 24-Aug-12 17:18:11

I know an April born in the summer and also a Holly born in the summer so not a Christmas baby, don't think it makes much difference really.

Gugglebum Fri 24-Aug-12 17:34:20

To me having an Autumn baby born in Autumn, etc, can actually be a bit, erm, corny. It makes me think the parents couldn't come up with much else, so they call them the month or season they're born in. When it's a June born in February or a Winter who is born in autumn (I know both), I figure the parents have some more connection to the name, and there's more of a story. That could be based on my experience with the people I've known personally named month or season names.

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 24-Aug-12 17:37:38

It could be used to tie into the month the baby was conceived. ie baby June born in March.
This would explain the August baby called May.

I love April and June, very pretty names.

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 24-Aug-12 17:38:53

oops, just did my maths, duh, does not explain an August baby called May.

LittlePandaBear Fri 24-Aug-12 18:44:59

I know of an Autumn born in January. I don't think the season/month has to correspond to the birth date but I bet most people who use these names do match up!

AnnaFender Sat 25-Aug-12 16:09:39

I agree with Gugglebum I think it's corny and work on the opposite basis that I would only use May outside of that month or Summer outside of that season, hence I have an August born Holly.

anychocswilldo Sat 25-Aug-12 19:41:36

I have a May born in the Winter. We used the name May firstly coz we love it but also because my nan was called May, its my favourite month and the month we were married in.

mummabug Wed 29-Aug-12 12:17:19

I know a Summer born in February and never thought anything of it! Agree it would be corny to use it as a month or season the child was born in.

autimac Wed 21-Dec-16 13:43:47

My mother named me Autumn 37 years ago today.... today, on the Winter Solstice. Yes, I was born on the Winter Solstice and my name is Autumn. I never gave it much consideration nor did any of my school mates. It wasn't until I became an adult, in my mid-20's, that a light bulb clicked and I made the connection. I mean, to me Autumn was my name, MY identity, not a season. So one day I asked her why she didn't name me Winter. She said it was because my dad had a cousin named Autumn and she really liked the name. So there you have it. You can name a kid after any month or any season regardless of when they are born. Also, incase you were wondering, or not, no I do not have a child of my own named after a season. I did consider changing the name of my adopted daughter to Summer, but we kept her birth name which is Haile. In my household I also have a Hayden, Tipper, and Tripp. Two H's and two T's.

NavyandWhite Wed 21-Dec-16 14:07:37

Tipper and Tripp?

1horatio Wed 21-Dec-16 14:28:43

automatic

Isn't Tripp a nickname? I know one man who's called Tripp. But Tripp on the bc actually makes me think of the Palins, sorry.

(Track, Trigg and Tripp, I think)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now