Talk

Advanced search

What's the most unusual baby name you love?

(221 Posts)
WithACherryOnTop Wed 06-Jun-12 19:32:41

I love Ozymandias nn Ozzy for a boy.

Anakin too.I am a SW geek though.blush

Horatio.

And for a girl,Pepper.

I doubt that I'd ever use any of them.They're my guilty pleasure names.

What are yours?

MrsWindsor Thu 07-Jun-12 12:32:07

Used to be obsessed with the name Bellatrix. Don't know why. Would probably be pretty evil of me. So I called my cat Bellatrix instead!

Lexiesgirl Thu 07-Jun-12 12:51:04

Decca or Pier for a girl. Kit for a boy.

Never going to happen...

bebejones Thu 07-Jun-12 12:51:50

Oooh yes mrsbugsywugsy had completely forgot about Eddard! Love that too. I actually quite like the name Joffrey but the character is so vile it really puts me off!

SuzySheepSmellsNice Thu 07-Jun-12 12:54:07

My friend's DD is called Hebe (to rhyme with Phoebe), I think its lovely! smile

seeker Thu 07-Jun-12 12:55:40

Clemency. I just love it- and I can't persuade anyone to use it!

mrsbugsywugsy Thu 07-Jun-12 12:55:52

Plus everyone would think Joffrey was Jeffrey which isn't so great (apologies to any Jeffreys out there)

NenNen Thu 07-Jun-12 12:55:53

There was a baby Boycie in hospital with my twins... Just gave me the urge to keep saying 'Marleeeen!'

amck5700 Thu 07-Jun-12 12:57:06

My younger son is called Ciar (the "proper" spelling of Keir smile)
we've not come across any others but they are out there somewhere.

seeker Thu 07-Jun-12 12:58:07

Did someon say Grayling?

It's one of my dd's many nicknames- she's actually Grace.

amck5700 Thu 07-Jun-12 13:02:32

....also love Struan

Ponders Thu 07-Jun-12 13:44:07

I am currently reading Gyles Brandreth's Westminster diaries. His children are called Benet, Saethryd and Aphra (they are in their 20s & 30s now I think). He says his wife picked them though...

Alex James has Geronimo, Artemis & Galileo (twins), Beatrix, & Sable

Boris Johnson has Lara Lettice, Milo Arthur, Cassia Peaches & Theodore Apollo

I never dared use anything at all unusual sad

Ponders Thu 07-Jun-12 13:47:43

some crackers here

extremum Thu 07-Jun-12 13:59:44

Friends allowed their first daughter to name her new baby sister. She's called Bear. I love it!

marceline Thu 07-Jun-12 14:15:39

A friend of mine was named by his sister who was 4. His middle name is Danger. How cool is that!

MissM Thu 07-Jun-12 14:47:19

Isis or Hope for a girl. I love Isis. I also quite like Lolita (oh dear). Clemency that someone mentioned above is beautiful too.

Missy44 Thu 07-Jun-12 14:55:05

I really like Novello for a girl, it's really pretty but DH thinks that the child would always be asked if they liked Ivor Novello. What do you think?

Mindyourownbusiness Thu 07-Jun-12 15:15:07

Saul. I love it. My first DH wouldnt hear of it for either of our two children and he was an Irish catholic so as it's a biblical name I never understood why. My 2nd and still current grin DH hated it when I first mentioned it to him because he thought it would be heard as Sol (Campbell the footballer) as it sounds very similar. But we only met in our forties both had grown up kids already so it didnt matter. But I actually did get pregnant at 46 which was a surprise caused by carelessness to both of us but it wasnt meant to be and I had a late miscarriage and they told me it was a boy sad.
I suppose l was never meant to have my little Saul - except in my dreams where he is alive and well and running around playing with my two children who are for some strange reason still toddlers though they are in their thirties now grin.

Mindyourownbusiness Thu 07-Jun-12 15:24:06

Oh and also it has a lovely meaning i.e. 'asked for' or 'prayed for' which I think is a gorgeous meaning for a baby's name even though my Saul would have been quite by accident.

I cant understand why one letter different from a very popular name Paul can be almost unheard of. So if any of you lovely ladies have a little boy in the future and call him Saul please can I be an honorary auntie in cyberspace or something grin

Polkadotfanatic Thu 07-Jun-12 16:31:12

Somersaults - I love Posy too smile So much that I think I might name a future dd that smile

Dauphin Thu 07-Jun-12 16:32:11

I really like Sholto and Wilf for Boys

And Hebe for a Girl....

Coniger Thu 07-Jun-12 16:35:53

Misha for a boy - it is the russian shortening for Michael. I know there are lots of girls called Mischa or Mica but LOVE it for a boy

LikeaPairOfNunsKnickers Thu 07-Jun-12 16:40:59

Scarlett for a girl (had two DSs so never stood a chance with that)

Dmitri for a boy - didn't even bother mentioning that to DH, I knew what he would say!

sereneswan Thu 07-Jun-12 16:45:16

Came accross an Iceland name 'Haukur', niknamed 'Hawk'. How cool!!

GlaikitFizzogKnitterOfTheRealm Thu 07-Jun-12 16:50:05

Airi
Aria
Blythe
Mara
Lena(not the unusual) nn. Lenny

Boys
Ramsey
Torren
Icabod
Cyrus

missingmymarbles Thu 07-Jun-12 16:55:43

I LOVE Hebe, Dauphin! But DH said no sad We are calling DD2 my other fave name though grin Seren, and I have loved it for years, even before lots of little Serens started appearinggrin That said we have never met one!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »