Talk

Advanced search

Sasha or Sacha

(18 Posts)
Alligatorpie Wed 25-Apr-12 08:40:33

what spelling would you chose ( for a girl?) Cheers!

Housewifefromheaven Wed 25-Apr-12 09:00:30

Sasha because Sacha is the way it's spelt for boys, Sacha Baron Cohen for example.

mayanna123 Wed 25-Apr-12 09:00:37

Traditionally it is a boys' name, short for Alexander.

Sasha is the Russian spelling
Sascha the German spelling
Sacha the French spelling

This is because in German 'sh' is spellt 'sch' and in French it is 'ch' (e.g. le chat).

I know too many boys named this that I find it hard to imagine a girl named Sasha/Sascha.

Housewifefromheaven Wed 25-Apr-12 09:01:34

Or the old crooner Sacha Distel.

mayanna123 Wed 25-Apr-12 09:01:51

It is Sacha because it is the French spelling, nothing to do with male/female!

mayanna123 Wed 25-Apr-12 09:02:26

Again, he is French!

mayanna123 Wed 25-Apr-12 09:02:44

Sacha Distel, that is French

sonniboo Wed 25-Apr-12 09:05:02

Yes, I too think it has to do with language. My German cousin is a Sascha (in Germany the name is only allowed for boys!) and I know a French Sacha, so that makes sense. In Russian/Eastern European it is probably Sasha.

Alligatorpie Wed 25-Apr-12 09:30:15

I am surprised! In Canada it is gender neutral. Even my dh who is British says he knows some female Sasha's ( but is now admitting they may have been European)

Our dd is Charley. Will everyone think we wanted boys?

Queenofcake Wed 25-Apr-12 09:37:41

I have known several female Sacha/Sasha/Sascha's in my 30 odd years on this planet and never a male one but am aware its a gender neutral name.

I like it as its fairly unusual and not too popular but way out and daft.

I think its lovely for a girl. I prefer the Sasha or Sascha though spelling wise.

Queenofcake Wed 25-Apr-12 09:38:36

oops typo I meant

*NOT too way out and daft!!

fondantfancier Wed 25-Apr-12 09:57:33

Sacha for a boy, Sasha for a girl.
Although just seeing it written down I wouldn't assume either way til I met them.

evamummy Wed 25-Apr-12 10:01:49

The spelling will depend on the language as mayanna said above.

In English I'd choose Sasha because you want it pronounced Sa-sha, I assume. No need to use the French spellig of 'ch' imo.

I know more men/boys than women/girls named Sasha/Sascha but a lot of these are German/Eastern European.

Teapot13 Thu 26-Apr-12 21:27:42

I would use "Sasha" because it's the standard English-language transliteration of the Russian (nick)name. Sasha is one of the very few Russian nicknames that can be used for girls or boys. It is short for Aleksandr or Aleksandra.

phebe12345 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:22:43

My dd is called sacha.. i found out after it may be the boys spelling. Shes 6 now so i feel its too late to change it. I hope it is just the french spelling! I have heard some girls called sacha so has made me feel a bit better

PooDogMillionaire Sun 07-Feb-16 14:29:52

Phebe did you mean to post those photos?

ConesOfDunshire Sun 07-Feb-16 14:45:25

Phebe, please report your post and get those photos removed!

Kitla Sun 07-Feb-16 14:49:21

All the girls I've known called Sasha have spelt it with an S. I've never met a boy Sacha in real life, but of the famous ones - they tend to use the C spelling.

I've always assumed S for a girl and C for a boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now