Talk

Advanced search

Teddy

(34 Posts)
HappyNewYear2012 Fri 16-Dec-11 18:21:10

Hi,

My partner and I are thinking of naming our baby boy Teddy who is due in March. We both like it (obviously!) but I'm just a little concerned we may potentially be giving him a name that he may get teased about though?

I would very much appreciate a few more opinions if you have a view on this.

Thanks everyone! x

noddyholder Fri 16-Dec-11 18:23:27

I know a couple one about 3 and a 19yr old. I love it. I don't know about the little one but the older boy is lovely clever lots of friends and no bullying afaik.

pinkhebe Fri 16-Dec-11 18:24:58

I know a Ted, I don't know if it's a nn or not though. Very popular boy

LynetteScavo Fri 16-Dec-11 18:25:20

Almost all names get shorted, so he will end up being called Ted.

I am a traditionalist, so would go for Edward or Theodore on birth certificate, but that's just me.

I know a couple of Edwards known as Teddy. They are not teased, but are called Teddy bear by friends and family.

LaFilleSurLePont Fri 16-Dec-11 19:47:13

Fine for a baby/toddler,but utterly ridiculous on a teenager/man,and sounds silly on a school age child imho.

I'd put Edward or similar on the bc so he isn't stuck with 'Teddy' when he's an adult.

LaFilleSurLePont Fri 16-Dec-11 19:48:53

Though I suppose he could be Ted.

missmiss Fri 16-Dec-11 19:48:58

I love it but like the posters above, I'd put Edward, Edmund or Theodore on the BC.

maydaychild Fri 16-Dec-11 20:20:36

I have an Edwin
His nickname is Ed or Eddy or just to me Eddy Bear!!

DaisySteiner Fri 16-Dec-11 20:24:43

I have a Theodore, called Teddy when a baby, now known as Ted. I love the name!

MarkStretch Fri 16-Dec-11 20:26:59

Love love love it, want it for mine (if it's a boy) but DH won't let me sad

oikopolis Fri 16-Dec-11 20:53:06

Put Edward (or another full name) on the birth cert. Teddy is a nickname and a cutesy one at that, and he should have a choice about whether he wants to use a nn or not.

hohohoshedittant Fri 16-Dec-11 21:01:01

I'd go for a 'proper' name on the birth certificate as well, Teddy just doesn't sound like a proper name to me.

smartyparts Fri 16-Dec-11 21:02:30

I love it!

I may (or may not) have one.

<remains anonymous>

goingtoofast Fri 16-Dec-11 21:03:51

I know someone who named her son Teddy. SHe now wishes he had a more grown up alternative....

smartyparts Fri 16-Dec-11 21:06:40

Actually, I like Ted, not really Teddy.

tammytoby Fri 16-Dec-11 22:38:41

Teddy WILL get teased with Teddy Bear - that is inevitable imo.

I would put Edward or Theodore on the BC and give your ds the option of what nickname her prefers a she grows up.

KitchenandJumble Sat 17-Dec-11 04:51:14

I love Teddy as a nickname for a little boy. Very sweet. But I personally would never use it as an official, legal name. Theodore is a wonderful name, as is Edward.

I don't understand the currently popular impulse to use nicknames as legal names. It reminds me of the hillbilly American tradition of names like Billy Bob or Joe Don. Of course, people can do what they like, live and let live and all that. But this trend is not one I really understand.

HappyNewYear2012 Sun 18-Dec-11 15:04:19

Thanks for all your opinions in answer to my Teddy question. I really appreciated all your views and I'm going to take some time re-reading them and considering carefully all your various comments, particularly about nicknames vs more formal name on bc etc. Normally I'm a pretty decisive person but I have to say I think choosing the name for our baby/a future person feels like one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in my life...! My partner still favours Teddy... I think I need some time to sleep on it, but thanks again everyone x

lotspot Mon 19-Dec-11 19:30:50

I know a Teddy - he's probably around 23-24? Doesn't seem cutesy, inappropriate or babyish - its just his name!! No idea if its just a nickname or his 'real' name but never felt a need to ask either - if Teddy's what you like I'd say go for it!

MudAndGlitter Mon 19-Dec-11 19:31:04

Love it!

muffinino82 Mon 19-Dec-11 20:42:36

Lovely nickname but I would use Edmund, Edward, Edwin or Theodore on the BC smile

sleepdodger Tue 20-Dec-11 20:00:57

I heart Teddy, and would have loved to call DS Teddy, but my only sibling is bloody Edward and we 'couldnt' use it hmm
Now my friend has a teddy & I'm jealous blush I love ds name, but its just not the same!!!
you could always call him Edward and go for Teddy, Woody etc?
congrats btw

HappyNewYear2012 Wed 21-Dec-11 18:46:17

Hello, Just unexpectedly discovered some more replies to my Teddy post. Very interesting.... Great to know a lot of people like the name Teddy. Thanks again everyone for your views and have a great Christmas xx

AnotherMincepie Wed 21-Dec-11 19:09:46

I like Edward and Theodore, and Ted is OK as nickname. Teddy just makes me think of Teddy Bears though (yes, I know it was a human name first but all the same...)

DessieLou Thu 22-Dec-11 13:43:26

I love Ted/Teddy and it's on our list but we would name him Edward to give grown up Teddy options. Let us know what you decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now