Talk

Advanced search

Help narrow my girl list!

(16 Posts)
babycandance Sun 23-Oct-11 13:25:18

I thought we had a girl name sorted but keep swithering and not sure if I prefer others... some other people's perspectives would be helpful! Our list is;

Anya
Amelia
Amelie
Eva
Eve
Sophia

Thanks!

NickNacks Sun 23-Oct-11 13:27:49

Love all the -a ending ones!

Which is odd because I don't usually!

StoneSoup Sun 23-Oct-11 13:29:39

Anya is my favourite. Classy and not over-used.

Not keen on Amelie. Unless you are French, it just sounds like Emily.

The others are all very sweet, but very popular.

thousandDenier Sun 23-Oct-11 13:32:14

Anya is good - the others are all mega-popular which puts me off completely.

frutilla Sun 23-Oct-11 13:35:36

Think Amelie is prettiest, not keen on Anya, and the others are very popular....

nancerama Sun 23-Oct-11 13:36:18

I love them all, but aside from Anya they are all very, very popular at the moment. Sophie/Sophia's in particular are everywhere!

bubblebubblebubblepop Sun 23-Oct-11 13:37:27

I love Sophia and Anya. Not keen on the others. There are a lot of Amelias around.

thousandDenier Sun 23-Oct-11 13:53:59

If you like the pretty -a names but might want something a bit more underused, I love these..

Elsa
Ida
Clara
Elisa
Lena
Paloma
Sylvia

babycandance Sun 23-Oct-11 14:11:13

Yes, some of you have echoed my concerns over popularity (although Amelia is less popular in Scotland where we live, though obviously she may live in England when older... I digress).

My daughter has a pretty, uncommon (not top 100 anyway) name ending in 'a' and I feel I shouldn't go for a super-common one for this baby, thoughts?

Also, my name is Emily, is that too close to Amelia/Amelie?
I really like Elsa too but fear it may get the Scottish 'Ailsa' pronunciation here which I hate (reminds me of Alf and Ailsa from Home and Away back in the day!) . Lena I like too but would be a bit matchy with DD's L name.

Thanks and keep the comments coming!

bubblebubblebubblepop Sun 23-Oct-11 14:23:34

Definitely not Amelie then!! My friend Ellen has DD called Ella which causes confusion even in her family.

My DD has unusual-ish name but DS has top 5 name. But that is only because we just don't like any unusual boys names. I don't think it matters.

oohlaalaa Mon 24-Oct-11 13:19:05

I like Amelia best. Beautiful name.

oohlaalaa Mon 24-Oct-11 13:22:28

If you are Emily, then I prefer Sophia. I think Amelie and Amelia are too close.

Sophia is meant to be popular, but I don't know any.

I like all your names, except for Anya.

Ephiny Mon 24-Oct-11 14:31:06

I like Anya, Eva and Sophia. Amelia a bit too 'frilly', and I think Amelie would be mistaken for Emily a lot (with potential for added confusion if you're an Emily yourself!).

Elsa is lovely too, I think it sounds quite nice with a Scottish accent actually, and no one of DDs generation will remember Ailsa from Home and Away surely? smile

NatzCNL Mon 24-Oct-11 17:06:51

They are all beautiful names. I have 3 daughters, my eldest is called Leila (pronounced Lee-la) which I have yet to find another child with the same name, although many people mistake her name for Layla (which honestly didn't even occur to me when we named her, and really not keen on Layla).

My other two are called Caitlin and our new born is called Sienna. Not really popular names which I am happy with.

I really like Anya, and agree with Ephiny that I doubt the children of your DD's generation will have any idea who Alf & Ailsa are, so wouldn't worry about that.

Eve, Eva & Sophia are so popular at the moment (which is why we decided not to call our baby Sofia in the end). As pretty as the names are. My name is Natalie, and I always always had at least one other Natalie in my class throughout school, in secondary school there were 3 of us in my form group and 6 in the year, plus goodness knows how many others in the other years. I hated having the same name as people resorted to calling us by nicknames or by our surnames. In my previous job before I had my children, my line manager was also called Natalie and married a man with almost identical surname as mine, so I was then referred to as little Nat at work - very annoying! smile

Best of luck with your choices x

LynetteScavo Mon 24-Oct-11 17:15:42

Anya...apart from being lovely it is the least popular atm. I know atleast 3 of each of the others.

Fixture Wed 26-Oct-11 00:45:34

Amelia or Sophia smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now