Talk

Advanced search

Nickname for Isaac

(28 Posts)
CollieandPup Sun 23-Oct-11 06:54:22

Hi!

We've decided on Isaac (Thomas) as a name for our soon to be born baby boy.

I adore the name Isaac but wouldn't mind a softer/cuter (sorry) nn for his first year or so. Any suggestions???

Also, I really really dislike the nn Zac and this almost put us off choosing the name incase it was adopted later at school so any suggestions for a future nn (less baby-like and more adult appropriate) would be good, so perhsps we could initiate something other than zac, although i plan to use the full name Isaac later!! smile

eastendmummy Sun 23-Oct-11 07:05:34

We have an Isaac who is 18m and to be honest we just use his full name as it is such a lovely name! I do sometimes call him by his initials - IJ but not often. Our nanny sometimes calls him Isaacy which is a bit odd but sounds cute. I also hate Zac and think that we will continue to call him Isaac. Congrats and well done on choosing such a good name (middle name is my dh's name so you have good tastes IMO)!

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 23-Oct-11 07:10:45

Ike

lockets Sun 23-Oct-11 08:29:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Himalaya Sun 23-Oct-11 08:40:46

Ike. Ikey as a baby. I have a friend who calls her Isaac izzey
IME (our school is full of isaacs grin) they get called by their full name. Zac is seen as a different name. People always get the spelling wrong though.

twogirls1more Sun 23-Oct-11 09:13:59

Hate to dampen things for you but I know two Isaacs, both of which people have shortened to Zac. Unfortunately, though you can choose to nn him anything you like, you will have little control over what others, (or he when he's older,) decide to shorten it to. I'm currently 37 wks preg with no.4 and we've chosen name that has 3 potential nn's. I wouldn't ever have picked it if I hadn't been happy with any of the possible shortenings!
Sorry, not trying to put you off, just giving food for thought! smile Just think that if you'd be v unhappy if people latch on to Zac as nn later on, best not choose it.

humptydidit Sun 23-Oct-11 09:16:24

I know an Isaac who is called izy for short - pronounced eye-zee iyswim!

grubbalo Sun 23-Oct-11 12:39:49

Well our Isaac has NEVER been called Zac - he is either Isaac, Ikey or Ike. Good choice of name btw!!

RefereezaWanka Sun 23-Oct-11 17:57:20

I know an Isaac who's nn is Ize (as in eyes)

peacypops Sun 23-Oct-11 20:23:12

We have a 10 month old Isaac and I tend to call him by his full name most of the time, although sometimes we do call him Ikey or Izzey. (pronounced eye-zy) and my three year old DD calls him Izzey wacky woo wah! Would never think of shortening it to Zac. I absolutely love the name Isaac (and its meaning)

strawberrie Sun 23-Oct-11 20:26:03

I have a 12 week old Isaac, and he often gets "Eye-zy" as previous posters have mentioned, or the even twee-er "Isey-pisey"blush.

ElaineReese Sun 23-Oct-11 20:30:24

Ike is the obvious nn for Isaac, although I do tend to think nicknames are more convincing if they evolve naturally to be honest - as opposed to asking on a website.

We never would have thought our Alex would be 'Axe' when tiny until our older child pronounced it that way!

cakeismysaviour Mon 24-Oct-11 00:53:08

Isa perhaps?

CollieandPup Mon 24-Oct-11 11:42:38

Thanks everyone and grin at those with ds called Isaac too!! I agree, fab name!!!

DH likes Ike, but I'm not sure. But we both like Ize. Most people have said the same about Isaac not generally being shorted to Zac in RL too.

twogirls It's not that I'm trying to force a nicknne, just come up with ideas other than one I dont like. As I said, I generally plan to use the full name as it's so beautiful but I think as he gets older having him used to hearing an alternative would be good so as to avoid Zac where possible, if he wants to shorten it. Obviously things happen naturally regardless, although I'm not conviced that's neccessarily better, my own school nn, dh's nn and most of my friends where all 'naturally invented' and leave a lot to be desired!! Yet friends with full names that were easily shorted, seemed to escape the cruelty! smile

CollieandPup Mon 24-Oct-11 11:43:25

Sorry it was cake who commented on nn naturally involving, not twogirls

Youremindmeofthebabe Mon 24-Oct-11 14:59:43

Hey collie!

My pal has an Isaac, which he himself has shortened to Iz-y now he can talk. And Ike is possibility- my other friend has just named her DS2 Ike, as a full name, IYSWIM.

IzzyWizzyletsgetbusy Mon 24-Oct-11 15:06:39

Hi collie !! Great choice of name btw wink

My Isaac is 8 now and insists on being called by his full name - I personally wouldn't have minded Zac but ds decided himself that he didn't like it and refused to answer to it at nursery smile.

As a baby he was known as Izzy or Izzy Wizzy blush. That one just evolved, I genuinely didn't see it coming, but it was sweet and we still call him Izzy or Wizzy sometimes at home. But - at his own insistence - never in front of his friends! grin

Ike is the other obvious one but it's just never really come up with ds.

balia Mon 24-Oct-11 15:14:12

Another mother of an Isaac here - mine is nearly 5, going to school, and no-one has called him Zac or Ike, ever. He does get a range of nn's, tho - my favourite is Ize (eyes) but he gets Iz, Iza (eye-sa) I-zay-yah, Izzy & Itzac.

CollieandPup Mon 24-Oct-11 15:50:15

grin loving Izzy Wizzy (think you might have told me that before, v cute!) and I-zay-yah!!!! Wonder what my friends and family will come up with (dread to think!)

<waves to izzy and yrmotb>

spookygarlic Mon 24-Oct-11 15:51:53

Sorry to say but Zac was my first thought, it's a common nn at work for boys called Isaac.

FjorgynAndHotWater Mon 24-Oct-11 16:02:29

My Isaac (age 3) gets Ize (eyes), Plise or even Schnize (all rhyming), never Zac. We used to call him Igot as that was how he pronounced it but he doesn't like that anymore because it's too babyish grin

peacypops Mon 24-Oct-11 18:24:18

Would never think of Zac as a shortened version. For me Zac is short for Zachary/Zacharia and has a slightly different sound to the 'aac' part of Isaac if that makes sense.

Himalaya Mon 24-Oct-11 23:04:36

I agree - if you were going to shorten it to Zac, it would be pronounced something like -'zuck' which just sounds odd...... Unless you pronounce Isaac as I-Zack like an Australian.

imlikeaironingboard Tue 25-Oct-11 01:55:18

My brother is a Isaac - he gets called hoky (from the yiddish so it is related to it)

ThoseClementineShoes Tue 25-Oct-11 20:11:46

Just I?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now