Talk

Advanced search

Milo or Micah

(28 Posts)
birdofthenorth Wed 19-Oct-11 14:36:37

These are my favourites for boys today ...though I'm changing my mind on a daily basis!

Do you like either?

sonniboo Wed 19-Oct-11 14:38:00

This is Milo:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_(drink)

I do like Micah though, especially as a nickname for Michael.

birdofthenorth Wed 19-Oct-11 14:41:50

Never heard of Milo the drink before! Is it even sold here?

Micah would go with DD's name better which is Old Testament.

Still have a soft spot for Milo though, even though he is a Tweenie, and apparently a chocolate/malt mix beverage!

Fishpants Wed 19-Oct-11 14:43:25

I much prefer Micah.

RitaMorgan Wed 19-Oct-11 14:44:49

Is in Mee-cah or My-cah?

birdofthenorth Wed 19-Oct-11 14:45:50

My-cah

sonniboo Wed 19-Oct-11 14:49:12

My-cah sounds like the German girls' name Meike. I prefer it pronounced Mee-cah.

birdofthenorth Wed 19-Oct-11 14:50:59

Mee-cah sounds more affeminate to my ears! Too much like Mischa (which I realise was masculine originally, but is associated mostly with women in the UK)

LCRLCR Wed 19-Oct-11 14:53:52

I know a very clever gorgeous 2 year old Milo - love it (I also know the drink but that is cos DH is South African)

cat64 Wed 19-Oct-11 15:02:59

Message withdrawn

Fixture Wed 19-Oct-11 15:08:30

I like both smile Slightly prefer Milo (and how long will the Tweenies be on for anyway?)

rockboobs Wed 19-Oct-11 15:13:02

Prefer Milo to Micah but then I had a schoolfriend (female) with that name and she was a bit of a snotty mare. Another friend has a son in his teens named Milo and he is a very sweet, lovely boy.

rachel1970 Wed 19-Oct-11 15:47:49

Milo is a chocolate drink to my ears, like calling your child Ovaltine grin.

Micah is nice, pronounced either Meecah or Mycah imo.

mathanxiety Wed 19-Oct-11 16:10:51

I like Micah. I would pronounce it My-cah. Very nice OT name, and you don't see it every day. Milos are two a penny where I am and they are all a bit precious imo .

RubyLovesMayMay Wed 19-Oct-11 16:20:17

I love the name Micah but know three of them so couldnt use it (its pronounced My-cah)

I remember my little brother used to drink Milo when I was little

And DD watches the Tweenies every morning

So you know which name I prefer grin

ScaredBear Wed 19-Oct-11 17:32:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

comedaygoday Wed 19-Oct-11 18:17:43

Definitely Micah. It's a strong Old Testament name with history behind it, whereas Milo is just meh and very faddy.

scarlettlips Wed 19-Oct-11 19:24:44

Milo is great..and the drink is yummy smile

I don't understand all this fuss about the Tweenie's or TV/ Film connections in general. No one seems to have a problem with the name George (Peppa Pig) Harry (Harry Potter) to name a few. Maybe it's just the fact Milo is a bit different (in a good way)

StoneSoup Wed 19-Oct-11 19:25:20

Micah is love;y. Milo is a bit played out and reminds me of the ghastly Ovaltine drink that old Jamaican grannies love.

lotuseener Fri 21-Oct-11 10:45:21

I have a Micah and I love the name. It was not unusual when I grew up in the states, but where I am in Scotland NO ONE has ever heard the name and I am forever explaining that he is not Mee-kah or Michael, but My-kah. I don't regret for a second naming him Micah, just be prepared to be constantly explaining that he is not Mee-kah.

Montsti Fri 21-Oct-11 12:44:12

I love Milo but unfortunately DH vetoed it for DS as we live in South Africa and it is a very popular drink as people have said. However wouldn't worry about that in the UK...Not keen on Micah - reminds me of the footballer - sorry! Anyway I'm boring and like "Top 10" names so ignore me!

othersideofchannel Fri 21-Oct-11 12:52:24

" in South Africa and Milo is a very popular drink as people have said. However wouldn't worry about that in the UK..."

But what's to stop op's ds from working, studying or living in one of the countries where Milo is as well known a drink as is Ovaltine here in the uk? I think this is part of the helpfulness of mumsnet, being a global site.

Montsti Fri 21-Oct-11 13:01:47

Yes agreed, but if you take into account every country's name issues etc...then you'll never find a name...think Birdofthenorth would have got the point that Milo is a drink but that it is not really known as a drink in the UK (where I assume she is based...maybe not).

thehogopogo Mon 24-Oct-11 15:40:45

I LOVE Milo-the name. only ever knew of one @ school. dont hear it much in the north west and its on my shortlist IF i have a boy. What WILL my south african family say grin

jasminetatu Mon 24-Oct-11 15:47:22

I have a Milo and love it, it isn't common where I live - never met another one. smile Jake and Bella are Tweenies too but nobody ever makes comments about those names! I would (wrongly!) have assumed Micah was pronounced Mee-kah rather than My-kah, which sounds quite feminine to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now