Talk

Advanced search

Atticus...

(15 Posts)
tostaky Mon 17-Oct-11 16:52:29

I see a lot of recommendations for Atticus here on mumsnet… but are people really naming their children Atticus?
How many Atticus in 2010/2009?

Just wondering why such an enthusiasm for this name when actually nobody uses it….

(I’ve seen the movie)

strandednomore Mon 17-Oct-11 16:53:56

I love it but wouldn't use it myself. But that's true of a lot of boys names, I think you can be a little more adventerous with girls.
We have two dd's but our boys choices were Thomas and William. I still suggest things like Otis and Winston on MN though!

Fixture Mon 17-Oct-11 17:15:14

My guess is there's a certain type of person in a few small pockets of the country who might consider this name. But I'm afraid it sounds pretentious to me, and I don't know anyone who has used it.

Also reminds me of dusty old attics!

mopsyflopsy Mon 17-Oct-11 17:51:24

I love it and know a lovely 6 year old. The more people use it, the more 'normal' it will become.

lockets Mon 17-Oct-11 18:33:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumzy Mon 17-Oct-11 19:15:16

It's the name of the hero in " To Kill a Mocking Bird" which is a great reason to give your ds this name

Gorgeous name - love it. Never met one though!

dearheart Mon 17-Oct-11 19:35:37

I know one - lovely boy known as Attie. His mum and dad are really down-to-earth people.

phlossie Mon 17-Oct-11 19:37:51

I've never met one. Love it, but had it laughed off my list by DH so never actually had to think about whether or not I'd actually give it to my ds, iykwim.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 18-Oct-11 20:40:16

I know a two year old Atticus known as Attie. Possibly the same one as Dearheart because his parents couldn't be more down to earth and less pretentious if they tried!

I know one too, wasn't sure at first but it has really grown on me.

MurderBloodstabsandgore Tue 18-Oct-11 20:48:11

I heard a knobber calling his DS in the park once. He sounded like a pretentious eejit TBH.

rachel234 Tue 18-Oct-11 21:47:18

I think it's lovely. And makes for a nice change to all the overused names like Jack, Finn, Charlie imo.

(MurderBlood, how do you know that someone is a pretentious eejit by how he calls his son hmm)?

tammytoby Tue 18-Oct-11 21:52:24

I know a 4 year old Atticus, nicknamed Attie. I think its cool, different and classic imo.

Fixture Tue 18-Oct-11 21:57:01

It has suddenly appeared from obscurity and is on the way to being faddy. I predict it will jump in popularity and then sound "tired" in a few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now