Talk

Advanced search

Alliterative Names...problem?

(14 Posts)
Fishpants Mon 17-Oct-11 16:02:09

I strongly dislike my surname, am going to be a single mother by choice, but the donor is a close friend who will see the child often, so I am hoping to give DC his surname.

However, if DC is a girl, middle name will be Alice (my middle name and strong family connections, no budging on that) and my two favorite girls names begin with A as well, and the surname starts with Al---. Do you think this would be hugely problematic (say, in school, etc?) Or am I making way too big a deal out of it? <new mom face>

chandellina Mon 17-Oct-11 16:09:31

some people love alliteration, others hate it. I like it and my son's name is MM. Middle names dont' get trotted out that much so not sure it really matters if you add that third element.

NoHunIntenDEAD Mon 17-Oct-11 16:17:26

Ooh, I LOVE it! My middle name is also Alice, my first name begins with A. I tried to find a man to marry whose surname also began with A (but didn't, though the old version (generations back) of DH's surname does begin with A, and I've suggested we revert to the original, just so I can be Triple A!).

NoHunIntenDEAD Mon 17-Oct-11 16:18:53

P.S. Will you share your two A first name ideas? Maybe it's my name!

PeppaPigandGeorge Mon 17-Oct-11 16:23:34

I ruled out an alliterative name (Ph... and F) for my second as it just sounded ridiculous, even though I loved the name, but then other alliterative names I've heard are lovely. It really depends on the specific name.

Fishpants Mon 17-Oct-11 16:36:25

Hehe NoHun - I am 99.9% positive they are not your name grin

Arya/Aria or Auden

Allen would be the surname.

As I live in a country of 300 million people I'm not worried about disclosing the full name wink

NoHunIntenDEAD Mon 17-Oct-11 16:57:13

Ah, no, neither of those is my name!

I like your choices. AAA are brilliant initials.

Methe Mon 17-Oct-11 17:00:37

Love Arya she's my Fav character in GoT Alice Arya sounds lovely.

I've got 2 G Js and it's fine.

Fishpants Mon 17-Oct-11 17:16:32

Thanks all! Very positive so far. Feeling much better about it.

I also love Arya from GoT Methe. Although now 'Aria' is a character in a popular teenage TV show over here so I hope people don't associate my choice with that - puh - but I think Aria is number 700-odd in the popularity list and Arya doesn't show up in the top 1000 so I'm good. wink

birdofthenorth Wed 19-Oct-11 09:34:06

I love Auden but Anything Auden-Allen does sound a bit daft. No probs with alliteration on the whole, Alice Allen is fine, but Alice Auden Allen would be a bit of a mouthful.

Fishpants Wed 19-Oct-11 13:47:08

Thanks bird - it would be Auden Alice Allen - which I agree is a bit much - I am leaning toward Arya though which I think is a bit softer as doesn't have the double -en ending.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Wed 19-Oct-11 13:52:53

I rather like them. If DH gets his way over this baby's name, her initials will be MVVM. If I get my way it'll be VVMM grin

chandellina Wed 19-Oct-11 14:29:07

i think those both sound fab, even if/when it's just "Auden Allen."

mathanxiety Wed 19-Oct-11 16:16:26

I like alliterative names. I think they are more common in Ireland. Yours sound lovely.

However, if you are going to be a single mum by choice and there will not be a father in the picture with the same surname as the baby, be careful. It can cause problems if you travel and all sorts of silly confusion in school and with GP files.

I would be very inclined to either give the child a double barreled surname or give him/her yours, with Allen as a third MN. It would actually work as such, even for a girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now