Talk

Advanced search

Middle name for Frederick, because clearly I have lost my mind

(16 Posts)
Tortoiseinadarkspell Mon 17-Oct-11 05:39:20

Here are the contenders, over which I slaved for an embarrassingly long time. And here is the problem: I don't think I like any of them now, except for Llewellyn, and I can't really have that one because this kid is also going to have a four syllable double-barrelled surname, and filling out forms is tedious enough.

So which do you like, and alternative suggestions also welcome. The Welsh thing is coincidence, it doesn't have to be Welsh.

Frederick Rhys
Frederick Llewellyn
Frederick Owen
Frederick Hugh

FearfulYank Mon 17-Oct-11 05:41:53

One of my names for an as-yet-unconceived DS2 is Frederick Alexander. You're welcome to that if you like it. smile

I love all the others, so I'm really no help. Rhys might be nice as it's shorter, since you said you have a long surname.

FearfulYank Mon 17-Oct-11 05:44:45

Other shorter names...hmm... James? Is that too boring? Sean? My beloved grandfather was Frederick Donald. smile

Matthew?
Archer?
Harrison?

I am talking out of my arse at this point, I think. grin G'night and congratulations!

scarlettlips Mon 17-Oct-11 09:25:55

Frederick Hugh for your list is my fav.

What about Alexander, James, Arthur, Edward, Thomas, Christopher, Oliver, Ryan, Ross

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 17-Oct-11 10:31:30

From your list, I like Rhys the best.

DS was going to be Frederick James (didn't sound right with our surname) or Frederick Arthur (didn't look like one when he was born), so he ended up as Frederick Benjamin.

Fixture Mon 17-Oct-11 11:23:56

Frederick Evan
Frederick Dylan
Frederick John
Frederick George
Frederick Peter
Frederick Aidan
Frederick Oliver
Frederick Charles
Frederick Jude
Frederick Ethan

silverfrog Mon 17-Oct-11 11:34:17

something we did to balance out a long surname (also 4 syllables) was to have 3 first names.

it seems to give a separate rhythm - you trot off the first names, then tackle the surname, iyswim?

so eg

Frederick Charles Oliver Pompington-Smythe

RedRubyBlue Mon 17-Oct-11 11:34:33

Frederick Charles

But from your list I like Frederick Owen

phlossie Mon 17-Oct-11 20:00:27

My brother is Frederick Joseph Henry. Frederick is great name and has suited him from babyhood (Freddie) to teen (Fred) to adulthood.

Tortoiseinadarkspell Thu 20-Oct-11 06:25:30

Silver, doesn't that make the filling-out-forms problem even more onerous, though?

Quite like Frederick Charles.

grubbalo Thu 20-Oct-11 09:16:25

Yes Tortoise, it does - I have 3 (long) Christian names and then had a fairly long maiden surname. Even though my surname is now a teeny bit shorter, I inevitably have to leave 1 Christian name off a lot of forms, which occasionally leaves to problems as then the name on that form doesn't match my passport exactly.

So while I get that it may "sound" nicer, if you have a long surname then I'd stick to 1 middle name. I like all your suggestions btw (helpful)

phlossie Thu 20-Oct-11 09:35:59

I have that too grubbalo - 3 names, and often my second name gets left off. I don't mind though. My DH has 2 middle names too. And now I'm pregnant with my third and probably final baby, I kind of regret not giving DCs 1 & 2 a second middle name each because there are still so many lovely family names that I haven't used!

Cwtchbach Thu 20-Oct-11 10:52:01

I love Rhys or Hugh, although as I'm Welsh (and it looks like you might be or have some Welsh connection) I'd spell it Huw x

Cwtchbach Thu 20-Oct-11 10:53:48

Oh but Llewellyn is bloody lush too and don't necessarily think it would be a problem, my name is 8 syllables I don't think its too long x

silverfrog Thu 20-Oct-11 10:55:07

we have huge trouble with forms anyway - have a 2 word (but not hyphenated) surname, which always gets changed to whatever the person (or computer) reading the form thinks it should be hmm

and the passport office, in their wisdom, have renamed dd2 entirely.

and dh's passport does not have all his names on (no space apparently, when there was space on the form). dd2 also has a name missing (th initial is there but not the whole name) due to the re-naming error.

so, we tend not to consider forms when naming grin. whatever yuo do on that front there will be a form that doesn't work, ime.

BloodyGoreyHairyKnickers Thu 20-Oct-11 10:56:33

Frederick Charles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now