Talk

Advanced search

NN for Patricia?

(32 Posts)
IssyStark Sun 16-Oct-11 21:26:47

DH's wonderful aunt Pat died on the August BH and we both agreed that should this one be a girl (we deliberately haven't found out), she's be named Patricia in her honour. Problem is that yesterday I discovered that he thought we meant as a first name, I thought we meant as a middle name.

Much though I loved Pat and admired her so much, I don't particularly like the name Patricia or Patty, Trisha. I like Pat and Paddy for grown-ups or even teenagers but not for little kids.

So are there any other nn for Patricia that could convince me it is a great name?

shineypenny Sun 16-Oct-11 21:29:10

Trixie

shineypenny Sun 16-Oct-11 21:30:18

or Patsy

fannybanjo Sun 16-Oct-11 21:30:25

Patsy?

KatyMac Sun 16-Oct-11 21:31:01

Patsy
Patti
Patty
Ricki
Cia

fannybanjo Sun 16-Oct-11 21:33:01

Rici? <clutches straws>

IndieNile Sun 16-Oct-11 21:33:37

Hmmm, that`s a difficult one. All I can come up with is using the first and last syllables, ie Pasha...which I think is quite cute smile

rachel234 Sun 16-Oct-11 21:43:09

What's wrong with just Patricia - that sounds lovely and is easy to say. Why the need to shorten hmm. Lovely name and lovely reason for choosing it. An added bonus is that she probably won't have to share her name with lots of others in her class.

winkle2 Sun 16-Oct-11 21:43:36

Patsy and Trixie are cool!

workshy Sun 16-Oct-11 21:44:27

I know a Tish -suits her

rachel234 Sun 16-Oct-11 21:44:57

Tisch is table in German grin

Dragonwoman Sun 16-Oct-11 21:45:38

Tish. I know a young Patricia called Tish.

MrsOzz Sun 16-Oct-11 21:48:16

I have no idea why but I know of a Patricia called Paris!

Tish, Tisha, Trixie, and Paris I like

IssyStark Mon 17-Oct-11 11:32:28

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think Tish, Tisha and Pasha are the best of the bunch but I'm still not sold on the name overall. However I'll try and talk myself around. I had rather had my heart set on Elspeth with Beth and Ellie as possible nn.

As for why we want nn in the first place - if we don't have one ready, relatives will make up their own and we'll be stuck with it (which given I really don't like some of the nn for Patrica I would prefer to avoid). That's what happened with DS. We named him Alexander but were waiting to see if he was a Sandy, Alec, Alex, Xander, Sasha etc but within a day of his birth the grandparents and aunts were calling him Alex and we couldn't change it after then depsite trying.

tummytickler Mon 17-Oct-11 11:37:51

I absolutely love the name Patricia! Patsy is adorable, as it Tish.I think Alex and Patsy sound fab together! And Alex and Trixie both have the 'x' sound, which also works beautifully I think!

greenzebra Mon 17-Oct-11 15:06:16

its my mums name, shes known as Tricia. But sometimes gets called Tree by Dad.

A family friends little girl used to call her Treasure as she couldnt pronouce Patricia.

I think Tish is the best nn.

plainwhitet Mon 17-Oct-11 21:22:05

I think it is a lovely name with some sweet nicknames.
The other thing you could do is carefully select a middle name so you could have, eg, a PJ or a PT (Petie) which might work? (Careful...!)
What about Poppy for a nickname? Not particularly close but starts with the same initial and a v pretty name too.

FreddieMercurysBolero Tue 18-Oct-11 01:23:20

I know a Patricia, nn Tishie.

Superfly Tue 18-Oct-11 10:24:30

I have always called my little sister Tish (Tishy when she was very small)

Takver Tue 18-Oct-11 12:05:03

I think Patsy is lovely.

Elspeth is a v. pretty name, but there are sooooo many Ellies & variants right now (dd's class had an 'El gang', there were so many of them!) and quite a lot of Beth, Betsy etc too, at least round here.

Fixture Tue 18-Oct-11 12:10:43

Pasha is a variant of the Greek name Pelagia.

midoriway Tue 18-Oct-11 12:14:18

My own lovely Aunty Patsy is dying at the moment, this thread has me a bit teary. Patsy is a lovely name that can be cute, sophisticated, fun, professional, much like my Aunty Patsy, sob.

NoHunIntended Tue 18-Oct-11 13:04:06

I knew a Patrixia (Italian) at University, she went by Pixie as a nn.

winkle2 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:52:51

Love Pixie!

fannybanjo Wed 19-Oct-11 11:47:08

How about Tia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now