Talk

Advanced search

Tilly's little sister

(10 Posts)
needabetternickname Sun 16-Oct-11 15:30:20

We're completely failing to come up with 'the one' - to go with both proper name of Matilda and nn Tilly. Some of the names we quite like are below, so would be great to see your thoughts on them, as well as any alternative suggestions...

Holly (does it sound too similar to Tilly??)
Beatrice
Sophie
Isla
Rosie
Eloise

They're hardly unusual or earth shattering and whilst I quite like some of the classic ones, I do want something which isn't necessarily going to be top 10....which we inadvertently managed with Tilly.

Thanks in advance!

scarlettlips Sun 16-Oct-11 15:43:04

Love Beatrice and Isla.

I like Rosie but for me without the ie. Rosy. Would she be Rosemary? Rose is lovely too.

What about:
Louisa or Iona?

If I was to go back in time I'd name DD Beatrice, we call her Bee now anyhow but I think it's just beautiful.

needabetternickname Sun 16-Oct-11 15:46:20

I love Iona - that's another one we've discussed. Each time I think we've settled on something, I seem to change my mind a few days later! Rose is lovely but I'm not sure I love any of the longer Rose type names, whether she ended up being called Rose or Rosie/y and I do think I'd want her to have a 'proper' name, as well as a nn, so she has that option later in life. I've just seen your post, so will go and take a look at your list!

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Sun 16-Oct-11 15:46:50

Not Holly - too lly with Tilly.

Beatrice I don't like (except CupOfTea's Beatrice - she's allowed grin)

I don't know - I tend to think that if you have a long name with a nn that you use instead for number 1, you should do the same for number 2 - otherwise they seem a bit shortchanged.

Charlotte - Charlie
Caitlin - Kate/Katie
Elizabeth - Lizzy/Beth/Liza

Nikki82 Sun 16-Oct-11 15:50:25

Beatrice nn bee is lovely!

scarlettlips Sun 16-Oct-11 15:51:48

Ursula
Agatha - Aggy...super cool nm!
Elsa
Rosalind
Martha
Virginia - Ginny
Penelope - Penny
Jennifer
Josephine - Posy

needabetternickname Sun 16-Oct-11 15:57:22

Thanks for the suggestions! DH has also decided that today he loves Nina. But not sure I can get over the whole nee-nah, nee-nah ambulance thing! Love Martha and Elsa. And Chipping, I think you're right, need to have a long name with nn. MIL is obsessed with Elizabeth, which slightly puts me off it!

lizzieloubee1 Sun 16-Oct-11 16:57:19

My first thought was Lara - Tilly and Lara has a nice ring to it. But it doesn't work if you want a longer name with a nickname.

Kaekae Sun 16-Oct-11 22:43:23

I was just going to suggest Lara too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now