Talk

Advanced search

How popular is Finn, really?

(16 Posts)
romanticism Fri 14-Oct-11 13:42:45

I have loved Finn for about four or five years, and it has always been at the top of my list for boys names - it all started when my mum suggested it as a name for one of our dogs! It's not yet in the top 100... Finley and Finlay are (neither of which I'm too fond of) and yet I keep seeing people on various message boards saying that Finn is really popular. I've never met a Finn, but as I have no children as yet, I don't meet an awful lot of kids! So I suppose what I'm asking is, what are your experiences with Finn? Do you meet a lot? Is it becoming crazily popular? Chances are I won't be getting pregnant for at least a year, but I'm just curious! Also, do you like the name Finn? Or do you prefer Flynn? I've been toying with both lately and think they're both great.

mopsyflopsy Fri 14-Oct-11 14:08:33

You need to add all the variations of Finn together - Finley, Finlay, Finnian, Finton, Phineas etc etc -> then you'll get a more accurate feel for how popular the name is.

Personally I did not know a single Fin/Finn five years ago. Now I know about 10 under the age of five. So yes, very popular here and there will be likely more than one in class with him.

oohlaalaa Fri 14-Oct-11 14:19:38

I only know two Finn's. The one is 16, and the other 30.

pommedechocolat Fri 14-Oct-11 14:28:37

I know a 35 year old Finn and a 2 year old Finn.

mayanna123 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:31:22

Very popular - we know a newborn one, 2 year old Finn and two 5 year old Finns (in same class). Agree with mopsy that you need to add all the variants of the name together to see its true popularity. It seems to have shot up in popularity over the past five years or so (and will probably start to date as people tire of it).

MamaLazarou Fri 14-Oct-11 14:35:40

I know 3 under 5.

tammytoby Fri 14-Oct-11 14:41:38

I know about 5 Finns under the age of 7. So yes, very popular and imo a little dull as a result (just because I hear it so often these days)

mathanxiety Fri 14-Oct-11 14:55:03

I seem to live in a little pocket of them. 'Finn and Milo' seems to be a popular sibset.

One of the Finns is Finnegan and one is Finlay, while the rest are Fintan (2) and Finnian (1) and just plain Finn (3). It really does lose its edge when it becomes as ubiquitous as Kevin used to be.

mathanxiety Fri 14-Oct-11 14:59:32

I don't like Flynn at all. Reminds me of skinflint and sounds as if you were just trying to be a bit different from Finn.

I like Finbar and Fintan if they stay unshortened. I also like Fionn, (pr Fyun) the Irish name Finn comes from.

MamaLazarou Fri 14-Oct-11 15:00:40

Oooh, Flynn is lovely - and much cooler than Finn, IMO.

Psammead Fri 14-Oct-11 20:14:51

It's a rocking name, but the popularity puts me off somewhat.

I don't think it matters too much really, but my personal preference is for less commonly used names.

cece Fri 14-Oct-11 20:19:08

My DC3 is 2. When I had him it seemed that every other new baby boy was being called Finley?Finlay or variation of around here (SE). I certainly know quite a lot of them.

carciofi Fri 14-Oct-11 20:21:14

My nephew is Finn and I know several but it is a fairly popular name in Ireland. I like it a lot and prefer it by far to Flynn.

Floggingmolly Fri 14-Oct-11 20:21:59

I also know 3 under 5, spooky... Maybe they're the same ones?

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 14-Oct-11 20:23:51

I know one Finn (my godson) and there is one Finley at nursery.

AmorYCohetes Fri 14-Oct-11 20:29:44

Two finns in my dd's reception class, another few scattered throughout the school. Mainly finlays i think (am in england). I do love the name fintan. I know a grown up fintan who is nn finty. I think it's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now