Talk

Advanced search

How common is Benjamin nowdays?

(24 Posts)
Allboxedin Fri 14-Oct-11 07:52:23

Due this week. DH and me still have not agreed on any names. We don't know the sex.
The only ones we both like are Anna/Annie and Benjamin for a boy but I think they are both quite common. I have lots of names I like and have put to him but he doesnt like them. sad
I think he likes Esther too for a girl but I'm not that keen.

I like old traditional names. Any Ideas?

AmberNectarine Fri 14-Oct-11 08:06:01

Well I called my DS that in 2009 and haven't found it to be that common. Love both those names by the way, best of luck and hope you're holding your DC v soon!

MurderBloodstabsandgore Fri 14-Oct-11 08:12:13

I think there are quite a few (you can look up it's placing in the top 100) but it is still a lovely name.

If you like traditional names then you will find that there are a lot of them. It's the road best travelled and all that.

Maybe you could come up with a unique spelling, you know to personalise the name for you wink

Conundrumish Fri 14-Oct-11 08:13:39

It was popular, but I don't hear of many now.

tammytoby Fri 14-Oct-11 08:47:27

I know quite a few little Bens (probably Benjamin or Benedict on birth certificate).

Fixture Fri 14-Oct-11 09:28:12

Georgia
Ivy
Marianne
Rebecca
Juliet
May

Isaac
Samuel
Jonathan
William
Joshua
Oliver

randomimposter Fri 14-Oct-11 10:10:03

don't know any under 7... know lots of Olivers, Finns, Joshuas though.

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 14-Oct-11 12:20:08

Last year it was number 22 I think... down from 15 the previous year? I looked it up when I was naming my son, born in May, as it's his middle name, but can't remember exactly the numbers!
I know several little Bens (I'm an infants' teacher), but a lot of them are just Ben now, not Benjamin.

AnaisB Fri 14-Oct-11 14:47:37

I love Ben and don't think it was too common. DH is Ben and when I told people his name they said "ooh, all the Bens I've met are really nice."

tammytoby Fri 14-Oct-11 14:51:40

So you ought to add up all the Bens, Benjamins and Benedicts to see how widely used Ben is.

Anais, I don't think how nice the Bens are that you know has anything to do with the name's popularity grin.

timetosmile Fri 14-Oct-11 14:53:01

Both lovely choices - we would have had a Ben or Anna except that they would have been awful with our surname.
Hope the birth of little Benjamin/Annie/Other goes well x

Allboxedin Fri 14-Oct-11 15:07:53

Thanks all. I don't really like just 'Ben' I would prefer Benji as a nn I think. (my pet rabbit was called benji when I was little smile )
I like Isaac but DH doesnt and I think it is becoming more popular now anyway. I'm sure your DH is lovely anyway Anais! grin
Our DD1 is called Elisa.

AnaisB Fri 14-Oct-11 16:13:07

timetosmile true - was a total tangent, but it was noteworthy how many people made that comment!

Hmm, traditional names that are less common, maybe Miriam, Esme, Ada, Iris, Leonard (rubbish at boys names).

Allboxedin Fri 14-Oct-11 17:03:51

I like miriam and Adah, Don't like Leonard but don't mind Leo!
DH also likes Joel but I am not overly keen.

Idreamofsunshine Fri 14-Oct-11 20:00:31

Its really common. DS1 is 8 and has 4 in his class (3 go by Ben but the other one is always Benjamin). Ds2 is 4 and has 2 in his class and 3 of my friends have a Ben ( all aged under 2 )

AngieWatts Fri 14-Oct-11 20:41:39

I know lots of Benjamins and Bens over the age of 10, but no baby Bens. Nice name.

Nikki82 Fri 14-Oct-11 22:12:49

I know 3 baby Benjamins born this year.

Conundrumish Sat 15-Oct-11 12:49:47

What about Ned (Edward) - that's a Ben-like name?

MrsJohnDeere Sat 15-Oct-11 12:52:08

I don't know or know of any Bens.

holidaysoon Sat 15-Oct-11 13:13:33

perenially popular I'd say 1 or 2 in every class (in that kind of area wink)

It is worth pointing out though that every Ben I've met has been really nice, I've heard that said too def worth considering that kind of thing.

(Have never been able to stand Emma for the same reason and it's me new neice's name [umm])

holidaysoon Sat 15-Oct-11 13:16:05

oh err good luck with the birth and don't know any Annies/Anns except one aged about 15

ragged Sat 15-Oct-11 13:24:50

I know lots under 10, but youngest is 3.

ben5 Sat 15-Oct-11 13:34:53

ds1 is a Benjamin. There were 3 in his reception class in the UK. I know of 3 now we have moved to OZ. One of which is always called BJ. They are all in different years at school.
How about Ruben? We also have a James and our girl names were going to be Amy and or Jessica

Allboxedin Sat 15-Oct-11 17:03:53

I love Reuben ben and I am going to put it to DH again!!
Don't like Edward sorry pink sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now