Talk

Advanced search

Does it matter that this name when spelt backwards makes an unappealing word?

(22 Posts)
sunshineoutdoors Thu 13-Oct-11 18:20:06

This is at present purely hypothetical as I have not even started trying to conceive my second child.... but already I am thinking of names for when I do!

I love the name Lana, I think it's so beautiful, however I have seen it pointed out on here before that it is anal spelt backwards. When I told DH this he vetoed the name. I kind of think he is right but don't want to believe it as I still love the name. Does it really matter?

Concordia Thu 13-Oct-11 18:22:17

i don't think it matters adn would still use it.
if you are really worried what about lara?

Fixture Thu 13-Oct-11 18:44:12

I never thought this about the name Lana until someone mentioned it on MN (you're not the first!) You'd forget all about this trivia if you did use the name.

But if your DH thinks there's a problem then maybe best to pick another name.

Larissa with Lara as nickname is nice, or Cara, Sara, or Louisa.

Or how about Xanthe, Juliet, Elizabeth?

therewasalittlegirl Thu 13-Oct-11 19:38:20

It would probably put me off unfortunately as it is nice. I prefer Lara though, think it's slightly prettier.

I have an issue similar to this. DH and I both like Thea. But I've seen it pointed out that it is an anagram of hate. Would that bother anyone?

FoxyRevenger Thu 13-Oct-11 19:47:16

I thought you were going for T'Nuc wink

OtterBjitch Thu 13-Oct-11 19:48:58

I thought it would be Esra.

But T'Nuc is much better. grin

ShroudOfHamsters Fri 14-Oct-11 10:54:45

I was thinking Gav

ImpYCelyn Fri 14-Oct-11 11:10:40

I was trying to work out if there's a name that makes "moist"

hmm

MargeryDaw Fri 14-Oct-11 11:19:18

I know a Lana and I can't say it's ever crossed my mind what her name spells backwards, as it wouldn't for any name - bizarre! How often would she be writing her name backwards?!

ImpYCelyn Fri 14-Oct-11 11:34:33

When I was a primary school we had a week where we were called by our names backwards. Think it was for charity.

ImpYCelyn Fri 14-Oct-11 11:34:55

When I was at

GuillotinedMaryLacey Fri 14-Oct-11 11:36:09

I was going to say no but Celyn has just reminded me of sitting in the Upper Fifth working out all our names backwards...we were slow learners grin

ChippyMinton Fri 14-Oct-11 11:49:01

Alana might be better?

Kayano Fri 14-Oct-11 11:49:03

Just don't have Lana and Naomi...

Anal and I moan... grin

oohlaalaa Fri 14-Oct-11 13:24:40

It would bother me.

Alanah is a beautiful name though, but it needs to be spelt Alanah IMVHO.

MamaLazarou Fri 14-Oct-11 14:58:35

Ooh, Lana is lovely. I wouldn't worry about the anal thing.

mathanxiety Fri 14-Oct-11 15:04:40

Would you pronounce it Lah-na or Lay-na? If Lay-na, you could spell it Lena (as in Marlena Dietrich) and avoid the issue.

Alannah (smile) is lovely. I love Lara too.

I think it would take a month of wet Saturdays and a lot of hours of boredom for anyone to start picking the name Thea apart.

sunshineoutdoors Fri 14-Oct-11 20:59:05

Yeah it's the school thing that bothers me....it's the only time I can imagine anyone noticing but if they did.... I think of a poor girl being known as this for her whole school career, and blaming her mother for it!

ChippyMinton Fri 14-Oct-11 21:51:10

LOL at all the spellings of Alana, all are correct, it's a matter of personal choice and dislike of unnecessary letters

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 14-Oct-11 21:56:00

Well, my DH is called Alan, and I do sometimes call him Anal (but only when he is being so!) It wouldn't have occurred to me about Lana, tbh, and it is a pretty name

adamschic Fri 14-Oct-11 21:56:56

Damn that stupid American film. I'd never seen it when I named DD. However, it's only been mentioned a couple of times. I had to spell it out that it had two connotations, when she got older of course.

Everyone writes their name backwards in school so it's up to you. How about dont think Lana Turner was bothered by it.

HermanMumster Fri 14-Oct-11 21:59:58

Lanah?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now