Talk

Advanced search

Honest opinion please

(18 Posts)
louisemc26 Tue 11-Oct-11 12:29:21

We have two boys Harley and Kaine and am expecting a girl in 7 weeks! So far we have agreed on the name Aaliyah, with Dianne as middle name (after partners sister who passed away last year). What does everyone think to the name Aaliyah and does it sound ok with our boys names???
Any other name suggestions welcome, we want something thats not too common but not to wierd!!

tummytickler Tue 11-Oct-11 12:55:18

I prefer Diane as a first name, and I think it would be far less common than Aaliyah. I bet there are not many little Diane's around

tummytickler Tue 11-Oct-11 12:56:13

Just seen it is after OH's sister, so maybe not, sorry. Lovely to put her name in there, I think Diane is beautiful.

lovinme Tue 11-Oct-11 14:18:48

I do like the name Aaliyah but it just makes me think of the singer so I wouldn't use it for that reason.

Psammead Tue 11-Oct-11 14:45:49

I think it goes very nicely! Best of luck for seven weeks time.

LaLaLaLayla Tue 11-Oct-11 14:47:52

Is Aaliyah common? Oh dear, I had it on my shortlist.

MamaLazarou Tue 11-Oct-11 15:01:14

I'm sorry but I really don't like Aaliyah. It's too 'aspirational'.

LaLaLaLayla Tue 11-Oct-11 15:03:46

Can you elaborate, Mama? I don't live in the UK, so I am very interested in how this name is perceived there.

AKMD Tue 11-Oct-11 15:06:34

I really don't know how to say this without being tasteless, but to me, naming a DD after two people who died tragically young (assuming this is the case with your DP's sister) would feel odd.

AKMD Tue 11-Oct-11 15:08:04

Posting again... Naming after your DP's sister is lovely but maybe a slightly happier first name?

kbird Tue 11-Oct-11 15:11:44

Uk names are going through a very trad, 60's old people vibe... Ernie, Vera, Millie etc. I'd say your choice of name may be perceived here v differently. To me Aaliyah sounds ethnic and kind of funky - like the singer! I very much love the name Harley, and I think all three names go well together.

Girl's names are hard - here's a few of my friends choices, so you can decide for yourself if UK opinion is worth gathering!!

Astrid
Dora
Betsy
Rosa
Scout - my personal fave!
Olivia
Phoebe
Millie
Mimi

MamaLazarou Tue 11-Oct-11 15:13:42

Well, LaLaLaLayla, if I met an Aaliyah, I would just assume they were named after the famous singer. It would suggest to me that the parents are hoping for similar levels of glamour or stardom for their little one by naming her so.

Aliyah, I believe, is a more traditional Hebrew name, and therefore a bit less 'starry' IMO.

LaLaLaLayla Tue 11-Oct-11 15:15:17

Oh, I don't know the famous singer blush

MamaLazarou Tue 11-Oct-11 15:16:22

Ah! She was a big R&B star back in the 1990s. I think she died in a plane crash.

LaLaLaLayla Tue 11-Oct-11 15:17:48

sad

motherhood Tue 11-Oct-11 15:17:54

I hear it a lot at my sis' kids school both Aleesha and Aaliya. I think it's a popular Asian girls name.

MamaLazarou Tue 11-Oct-11 15:23:29

Sorry, Layla.

LydiaWickham Tue 11-Oct-11 15:29:26

I think Diane is a gorgeous, underused name - but it might be hard for DH's family to call her that. I don't really like Aaliyah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now