Talk

Advanced search

If the initials spell out the first name?

(19 Posts)
PenguinsAreThePoint Tue 11-Oct-11 10:09:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birdofthenorth Tue 11-Oct-11 10:15:49

If you happen to love a particular middle name that makes the initials spell out the first name I think that's ok. If you're picking a middle name just to give him cute initials, I wouldn't. Every time he or she is asked to initial something others may think they are simple and have written their name instead!!

greenzebra Tue 11-Oct-11 10:16:17

I dont think its terrible actually do think its quite cute.

TonksmarriedaWerewolf Tue 11-Oct-11 10:19:51

My DH's initials spell out a short version of his name, as do my FIL's.
Thankfully DH didn't insist on it for DS!

Dru6 Tue 11-Oct-11 10:21:46

If the names you like fit then it's a great idea. My dad's initials are DAD which I've always liked!

Fifis25StottieCakes Tue 11-Oct-11 10:25:45

I know sisters who's initials spell out T.L.C - tender loving care and D.M.C dairy milk chocolate.

I almost called my daughter Bo but then realised Bo + surname = BOG. I called her Connie Jean and didnt realise for 2 months she has the same initials as her dad blush

PenguinsAreThePoint Tue 11-Oct-11 13:49:01

MrsOzz Tue 11-Oct-11 13:58:45

My father's name is Gavin (Gav)
And his name is Gavin Anthony V**

I've always thought it was pretty cool. I was always slightly jealous as my name is Sam, and my unmarried initials were SAV, and I joked I would marry a Mr M**** so my initials would be SAM. Well that didn't happen...

Psammead Tue 11-Oct-11 14:49:23

I think it's sort of nice, like a little in-joke type of thing, but not tacky.

That said, I wouldn't go with a middle name that was totally meaningless or ugly just to do this.

Debs75 Tue 11-Oct-11 14:54:34

My dd2's initails are R.I.C. Am hoping she marries someone with and E or a H surname

My friends initials spell her first name which is very sweet. If she marries though they won't

oohlaalaa Tue 11-Oct-11 15:56:03

I've seen this done with Tom.

PenguinsAreThePoint Tue 11-Oct-11 17:39:31

Psammead Tue 11-Oct-11 17:41:44

Penguins, me either! It is utterly beyond me how people wait to know the sex and to name grin

They must have the patience and self-control of saints.

NorkyPies Tue 11-Oct-11 17:42:02

It's a neat idea.

winkle2 Tue 11-Oct-11 18:29:12

I'm gonna do that for my baby boy - if I have one. Going to call him Joseph and his surname will begin with O so his initials spell JO.

I think it's cute!

zipzap Tue 11-Oct-11 19:10:29

You could have all sorts of fun if you went for a few more middle names! Penelope India Kate Mabel Evans anyone? Or Tim Rick Ungle Billy Liam Evans? Annie India Belle Unwin?

Having said that I know a couple of kids whose names spell (phonetically) chasm and Jesus. Neither of their parents realised at the time they chose the names...

EssexNanny Tue 11-Oct-11 20:28:06

My brother is Edward, with the initials EDD, which he is known as by his mates.

My other brother has the initials ABCD :-)

I also know a Leo, with the initials LEO.

NorkyPies Thu 13-Oct-11 21:54:58

This post has made me realise that my initials spell out my grandmother's nickname. Don't know if that was deliberate smile

staylucky Fri 14-Oct-11 20:05:56

My sons initials spell out GENT which I realise is utterly tacky in principle but they are all super cute and meaningful names.....and well I think it's important for a chappie to be a gent blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now