Talk

Advanced search

My favourite baby name rhymes with my surname

(29 Posts)
Dirtydishesmakemesad Mon 10-Oct-11 20:15:30

When i was little i always said i would call my daughter katy no idea why but i always wanted a daughter called katy for some reason. I am having dc5 now and already have 3 girls but have never called a baby katy becase it rhymes with my surname, my surname sounds alot like kirby so you get the idea it woud be katy kirby.
This will probably be my last dc and we recently found out will be our fourth daughter is there anyway that this is ok or even better a name wchih sounds better with our surname that cam be shortened to katy, i did think katherine but im not so sure about the full name katherine (fussy i know) and really dont liek kathy which i worry people would shorten it too.

Any ideas?

thisisyesterday Mon 10-Oct-11 20:17:48

i LIKE katy kirby

that, or similar, would be fine

i would only not do it if it was something like Katy Batey or something that actually rhymes

2tired2bewitty Mon 10-Oct-11 20:21:55

I know a Katy Kirby, doesn't seem to have done her any harm.

I think it sounds fine, I thought you were going to say something like Anna Spanner grin

StellaAndFries Mon 10-Oct-11 20:24:03

DD4's first part of her hyphonated name rhymes with her surname. Hasnt been a problem.

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Oct-11 20:28:13

I like Kate Kirby.

I wanted a Kirstie Cooper, but Mr Cooper vetoed Kirstie.

Kayano Mon 10-Oct-11 20:29:42

I know a shawn horn lol

Psammead Mon 10-Oct-11 20:59:19

I think it sounds fine.

triskaidekaphile Mon 10-Oct-11 21:33:08

Trying to guess what your surname is now!

Katy Greaty

Katy Kuwaiti

Katy Matey

Can't think of anything obvious that rhymes with Katy...

triskaidekaphile Mon 10-Oct-11 21:33:42

Love the name Katy, btw.smile

mathanxiety Mon 10-Oct-11 21:51:43

Katy Kirby is fine and she might even choose to be Kate when she gets older, which would be nice too.

As long as your surname isn't Waity you're fine.

Katy is a lovely name imo.
Would you consider Katrina as a long form if you don't like Katherine and want to avoid Kathy?

StetsonsAreCool Mon 10-Oct-11 22:59:06

I love Katy. Ahem.

I think as long as it isn't an exact rhyme, like some of the ones suggested above, then it will have a nice ring.

I know a couple of rhyming names IRL. One was (i'm sure it was) Isabella Deller. Another was along the lines of Dylan Millins. [names protected but you get the idea] And the ever memorable Huw Huw who I met through work.

BlowHole Mon 10-Oct-11 23:01:24

I knew a Michaela Taylor, and I must admit I did find it amusing. Does it actually rhyme though, or just sound similar and start with the same letter?

Fixture Mon 10-Oct-11 23:02:22

Sorry but I think it sounds too sing-songy.

TheSecondComing Tue 11-Oct-11 00:01:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Oct-11 08:26:30

I went t school with a Ronnie Rennie. He had to man up pretty quick!

civeng40 Tue 11-Oct-11 09:41:04

Hmm this isn't the worst rhyming I've heard... it doesn't really rhyme, just sounds a little similar. I think it's fine.

MelinaM Tue 11-Oct-11 09:42:00

Why not just call her Catharine /Katherine and use the nn Katey /Katie? ...that way it won't look/sound so bizarresmile

blushingm Tue 11-Oct-11 09:50:29

there's a teacher at dc shcool called Carole Barrel (she used to be Lewis) and a lady down the orad called Helen Mellen, so Katy Kirby is not that bad!

lenak Tue 11-Oct-11 09:54:24

Isn't katy kirby alliteration rather than rhyming?

I think its fine - although Kate might be better with Katy as a nn. Also if you weren't sure about the KK initials, you could use Cate or Cait.

For longer versions what about:

Katelyn / Caitlin
Katherine / Catherine
Katerina

ByJingoes Tue 11-Oct-11 09:55:50

It doesn't rhyme, and it sounds good to me. smile

BlowHole Tue 11-Oct-11 10:32:14

And how could I forget a lady I once knew called Jane Splaine?

KatAndKit Tue 11-Oct-11 11:02:00

Katherine isn't often shortened to Kathy anymore, it's a bit 1980s. Katie is a much more common nickname, or Kate.

If you go with Katie as the actual name, so long as your surname doesn't end in TY then you are fine.

zipzap Tue 11-Oct-11 19:45:33

At least you are not going to call her kirby kirby grin

I've worked with an Ismail Ismail. He always encountered people double checking that he knew his own name they had heard right. He had a weary and well used line he trotted out every time to explain!

bagelmonkey Tue 11-Oct-11 19:50:30

If she really hates it she can always get married and change her surname grin

Popbiscuit Tue 11-Oct-11 19:50:52

I think Katy "Kirby" sounds lovely! Kate "Kirby" also a very nice adult name. Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now