Talk

Advanced search

Harry or Aidan?

(14 Posts)
Sunshine28 Mon 10-Oct-11 12:50:51

Hi ladies - for our boy's name, Harry is top of the list. I know it is really popular at the mo but it does have special meaning to us. Just wanted to get your thoughts on how popular you think it is and if you like it as a name?

Freddie is an alternative and I also really like Aidan (partly because it is Irish and I'm Irish) but my partner isn't so keen.

What do you think? x

susiedaisy Mon 10-Oct-11 12:52:45

Harry is a nice name but it's been done to death over the last fifteen years, could it be a middle name?

Jacksterbear Mon 10-Oct-11 12:57:11

I like all 3 of those. Love Aidan.

I am generally an advocate of saying sod it and choosing the name you want even if it's overly popular (you can see what my DS's name is from my NN!).

mayanna123 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:27:17

We have four Harry's in our Scouts group, two of which share the same surname initial.... So my vote goes to Aidan.

Fixture Mon 10-Oct-11 14:45:33

I like Aidan, it's a classic name but not overused.

I like Harry and Freddie but only as nicknames for Henry and Frederick.

Sunshine28 Mon 10-Oct-11 16:28:19

Thanks girls. I am going to push Aidan to my OH this evening. He is not that keen but I may be able to pursuade him. x

sleepevader Mon 10-Oct-11 16:36:04

Aidan! < bias>. But then I want harry for this DC2.

What other names have you got?

MelinaM Tue 11-Oct-11 09:43:08

Aidan Henry perhaps?

Harry is lovely, but very, very popular!

pilates Tue 11-Oct-11 19:49:49

Harry is a great name, also like Freddie.

spiderlight Tue 11-Oct-11 20:56:29

Aidan is by far the nicest of those three.

Ragwort Tue 11-Oct-11 20:57:46

Loathe Aiden grin.

Harry and Freddie are lovely.

bettieblue Tue 11-Oct-11 21:09:28

All three names are lovely. I have just had a Harry (it was one of 4 names on our final list) and was in two minds about the name as its so popular/ common! Anyhow I figured that actually people are not using the name now because its in the top 10 and when DS was born he just looked like a Harry. I haven't come across any other Harrys in the baby groups I go to yet, if you like it I really don't think you should worry about its popularity.

HengshanRoad Wed 12-Oct-11 05:21:15

Both are pretty popular. Why not choose something a bit less well-used?

Sunshine28 Thu 13-Oct-11 19:52:09

We have been trying to think of a less 'well-used' name but we really just like Harry. My Uncle (who is now deceased) that I was very close to was called Harry and his birthday is the same as our baby's due date so the name has real meaning for us. If we have a boy, we think we are prob going to call the baby Harrison David but he will be known as Harry. Thanks for the advice all smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now