Talk

Advanced search

Is this name too sibilant?

(11 Posts)
whizzyrocket Mon 10-Oct-11 11:04:27

Our surname is pronounced Sunesco but my DH is keen on calling our little boy Oscar... I love the name but worry he'll have a difficult time with all those S sounds. Just imagine if he had a lisp!

So what do you think?

minipie Mon 10-Oct-11 11:07:32

I don't think it's a problem. If it were two S sounds in the first name eg Cassius, that would be too much but I think one S sound is fine. Especially as it's in the middle of the name so won't run into the S sound at the start of your surname.

poppydaisy Mon 10-Oct-11 11:11:10

Hmm, perhaps a little too much 's's especially if you call Os Sunesco. I think a name like Adam Sunesco, Oliver Sunesco, Quinn Sunesco sounds better.

whizzyrocket Mon 10-Oct-11 11:18:18

We're ok for alternatives (the options are Frederick, Henry or Theo) but thanks for thinking of some for us. I did suggest Quentin a few months ago but it was quickly vetoed.. so no Quinn!

Thanks both of you for responding. I love the name Cassius by the way! You're right it wouldn't suit our surname but I'll still have to keep it from my chap.. I think he'd want to call our baby Spartacus if I hadn't already used it for a cat!

shoobidoo Mon 10-Oct-11 11:20:20

I think because the emphasis in Oscar is on the S and the emphasis in Sunesco is on the S, it may be a little much.

pilates Mon 10-Oct-11 12:31:21

Oscar sounds fine but Henry even better.

greenzebra Mon 10-Oct-11 12:57:56

I think its sounds fine, I think as its a 'Osss' sound and then a 'Sooo' sound it works fine and actually I think it sounds like a name you would really remember.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 10-Oct-11 14:01:24

I think it's fine. Flows rather nicely actually.

pictish Mon 10-Oct-11 14:02:28

I like it, but I would as my eldest is an Oscar. I think the names go fine!

mistressploppy Mon 10-Oct-11 14:05:49

I think it's fine, and rather poetic.

grumplestilskin Mon 10-Oct-11 14:07:37

no it's really lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now