Talk

Advanced search

Accents/Diacritics

(8 Posts)
thistlemuncher Mon 10-Oct-11 08:27:39

Do people not use these any more? Or is it just because people can't be bothered to type them and in real life would use them when writing by hand?

For example, from what I've seen in here, it's rare to see someone using the ¨on names like Chloë or Zoë, yet often on Irish names there are accents. On French names like Aimée, the accent often gets lost.

I'm wondering if I'm going to be sentencing myself to a life-time of annoyance at missing diacritics...

fraktious Mon 10-Oct-11 08:36:40

I think they're lost in RL (Anaïs bugs me for that) and people can't find them on the keyboard!

thistlemuncher Mon 10-Oct-11 08:49:04

But what about pronunciation? How do people pronounce the names then
Zoe or Zoë
Anais or Anaïs?
To me that makes a huge difference in the name. I assume if it's not written properly, then the trend is not to pronounce it properly either.

fraktious Mon 10-Oct-11 08:56:45

I heard A-nay once. Also A-nye-is.

Always Zo-ee in England though.

MelinaM Tue 11-Oct-11 09:44:47

Anais - A-nay, but have also heard it pronounced A-niece ..can't find appropriate accent on my keyboard eitherblush

Fixture Tue 11-Oct-11 10:10:07

I think it's fine for names to be anglicised.

Dru6 Tue 11-Oct-11 10:25:28

With or without accents I would pronounce them zo-ee and a-nace.

thistlemuncher Tue 11-Oct-11 10:59:37

I can understand names being anglicized e.g French names like Aimée and Valérie losing the accents (although it annoys me), but Chloë, Zoë and Anaïs are the English spelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now