Cadi

(29 Posts)
pickyourownifyouplease Sun 09-Oct-11 12:55:41

It is a welsh version of Catherine

What do you think?

1morewonthurt Sun 09-Oct-11 13:31:10

Well I like it.

marialuisa Sun 09-Oct-11 15:44:59

Honestly? I'm from a Welsh speaking family and it's a popular name for animals, especially sheep dogs round our way. Don't dislike it or anything.

picnicbasketcase Sun 09-Oct-11 15:48:49

How is it pronounced - like Kay-dee, Caddy, Kah-dee? Looks nice written down but not sure how you say it.

Romilly70 Sun 09-Oct-11 15:49:37

not that taken with it; how do you pronounce it?

Caddy?
Kay-dee?

Romilly70 Sun 09-Oct-11 15:50:21

x-post...!

Psammead Sun 09-Oct-11 15:51:06

Is it a long or short vowel?

If short, sound like someone who carries your golf clubs.

If long, it sounds like cardie, as in cardigan.

Or am I getting it totally wrong? Is it more like Kay-dee?

Psammead Sun 09-Oct-11 15:51:53

Oh right. X-posting with everyone there, sorry.

ohhhadishwasher Sun 09-Oct-11 16:07:20

Well I know a lovely Cadi (though she is catrin with nn of Cadi, but guess it is like catherine nn Cate where the nn can also be a name)
She's a Ca-dee (said as in golf)

yeah I like it

mejon Sun 09-Oct-11 16:24:59

Love it. (I have a Mabli). Cadi Cwcwll Coch is the Welsh version of Little Red Riding Hood.

ShroudOfHamsters Sun 09-Oct-11 18:34:11

We have a Catrin in the family known as Cadi. I love it, but to me it is definitely a short form- how about Catrin, or even Celyn shortened to Cadi?

Janoschi Mon 10-Oct-11 01:13:55

Well, I never thought I'd ever see my name on a MN baby name thread! Mine is pronounced Caddy and I get a LOT of jokes about golf, tea and cars. Having said that, I'm the only one I've ever met in 33 years and everyone remembers my name (though not always how to spell it).

I hated it when I was very small but grew to love it very quickly. Still liking it now!

Interesting to know about Cadi Cwcwll Coch!

BelleEnd Mon 10-Oct-11 10:29:29

Cadi is a brilliant name. Lots of little ones round here. Janoschi, you are a hogan lwcus!

greenzebra Mon 10-Oct-11 13:00:54

Cadi (cad - ee) is turkish for Kitten I think, might be wrong (had a turkish boyfriend for a while and he called me this)

I think its a sweet name, didnt know it was Welsh.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 10-Oct-11 13:03:21

I rather like it.

IdHarmAPumpkin Mon 10-Oct-11 13:47:07

Yup, Cadi is the Welsh equivalent to Katie... i.e. short for Catrin etc but can also be used as a stand alone name. I like it but it is getting relatively more common in these parts (Welsh speaking North Wales). I have a Katie though, so see nothing wrong with common names wink

Janoschi Mon 10-Oct-11 22:11:43

Hogan lwcus = lucky girl? My Welsh is rubbish.. :-(

I'm from North Wales and was named after the Cadi Pit in Brymbo, which flooded in the Victorian times and killed 9 miners, if I remember correctly. There's now a Cadi Pub nearby. Don't ask me why on earth my parents thought it the ideal name considering the back story!

BelleEnd Tue 11-Oct-11 09:16:20

Your Welsh isn't that rubbish Janoschi.
I didn't know that there was a Cadi Pit in Brymbo. Are you from that area? My Mam was born in Llay.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 11-Oct-11 11:41:55

"Cadi (cad - ee) is turkish for Kitten I think, might be wrong (had a turkish boyfriend for a while and he called me this)"

Cat is kedi in Turkish, kitten is kedi yavrusu. He was calling you a cat greenzebra wink

Cadi is a sweet name.

MamaLazarou Tue 11-Oct-11 15:24:37

I like it. There is a Caddy in Bleak House.

spiderlight Tue 11-Oct-11 18:55:37

I really like it (although I'm in South Wales and the only one I've ever actually met was a cocker spaniel). I'd probably have Catrin as the official name on the birth certificate though.

Shutupanddrive Mon 17-Oct-11 18:59:59

I know a Cadi, lovely name. I'm in Wales and never heard of any animals being called that though as someone suggested. Pronounced caddy by the way

anyagoogle Mon 17-Oct-11 23:53:30

I like it.
I wouldn't have thought it was a nn for Catrin though but then I'm not welsh (at all)

gallicgirl Tue 18-Oct-11 00:03:35

I thought it said Cardi.

If you live in Wales it might be ok. If you're in the UK then I'd be wary. DD has a Welsh name which I thought was easily pronounceable but probably misspelled but it seems people aren't sure how to pronounce it either when they see it written.

gallicgirl Tue 18-Oct-11 00:04:08

Sorry, not UK but England. I do know Wales is in the UK, honest. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now