Talk

Advanced search

Can you call your second son Adam

(16 Posts)
FrizzyLizzy75 Sun 09-Oct-11 10:52:51

We've just had our second boy and he has no name. I really like Adam but my husband says it means first born and that we can't use it for a second son. First son is James aka Jamie so need something to go with that. Has anyone else called their second son Adam and had odd comments from people?

seeker Sun 09-Oct-11 10:54:44

Of course you can! Unless you're actually God.......

HeidiHole Sun 09-Oct-11 10:58:30

umm... yes I'd say that was fine!

It means "man" apparently

babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Adam.html

said Sun 09-Oct-11 10:59:37

Yes, of course you can. Doesn't Ben mean 'youngest son' but I'm sure lots have younger brothers

TheOriginalNutcracker Sun 09-Oct-11 10:59:46

Of course you can.

My brother is Adam and he is the 3rd child.

IvyAndGold Sun 09-Oct-11 11:03:13

I didn't think people actually took much notice of the meaning of names so much these days. I think it's absolutely fine, I'm pretty confident you won't get people being hmm when they find out he's second born! smile

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 11:19:52

Hahahahaha your DH is very silly.

James means supplanter, ask him who or what your DS1 is supplanting.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Sun 09-Oct-11 11:22:17

Course you can. I know an Adam and he's a second son, never occurred to me.

pilates Sun 09-Oct-11 11:23:01

Yes I wouldn't worry about the meaning. I know an Adam who is the second born son but I'm not one who worries about meanings for names anyway.

CointreauVersial Sun 09-Oct-11 11:26:39

What rubbish. My brother's second son is Adam, no-one has ever pointed out that this is wrong.

I also have a mate called Philip (meaning: lover of horses) who hates horses; do you suggest he changes his name?

slartybartfast Sun 09-Oct-11 11:28:01

i was sure you were going to say if you had a dd called Eve. my answer would be no.
but other than that. adam is a nice name.

Yama Sun 09-Oct-11 12:09:02

Ha ha Slarty, I was going to say that. Or unless his brother is Steve.

BluddyMoFo Sun 09-Oct-11 12:11:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scoundrel Sun 09-Oct-11 12:13:02

Goodness me no, whatever would the vicar think? shock

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Sun 09-Oct-11 13:07:10

Theres nothing wrong with it, I think Adam may mean Man as someone else has suggested. I know a third son called Adam, not a problem. Jacob means someone who 'pulls someones leg' or tricks them. Actually I did know a Jacob who was a bit of a wind-up merchant. Also Sarah is someone who laughs or is a princess I think.

mumblejumble Sun 09-Oct-11 13:18:30

I am about to have my 5th son in a few weeks, and am definitely calling him Adam. I already call him that when I speak to him.
Lovely name grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now