ailsanddave Sat 08-Oct-11 21:01:42

We're thinking of Louis Robert. Any comments? Surname Smith. Thanks

honeylamb Sat 08-Oct-11 21:23:06

Oohh I love the name Louis!

Kayano Sat 08-Oct-11 21:39:46

Robert Louis Stephenson? Is that a person? blush

Cos that sprung into my mind

ailsanddave Sat 08-Oct-11 22:07:29

Yeah, he invented the steam engine. Louis is the name we are thinking of, Robert is a family name; maybe he'll be a little inventor...

MelinaM Sat 08-Oct-11 22:37:53

Louis is lovelysmile

Kayano Sat 08-Oct-11 23:40:26

I do like it grin
My Grandad was actually called George Stephenson so I think it's cool

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Sun 09-Oct-11 01:11:48

Why do you say 'but not Walsh'? confused Surely that's a given? Or do you mean not pronounced the way Louis Walsh pronounces it?

I like Louis pronounced Loo-ee, not Lewis.

GirlBabs Sun 09-Oct-11 02:42:45

Louis Walsh's actual name is Michael. Louis is his middle name! I really like Louis and don't think of Mr Walsh; I think of the French kings.

Dutchie77 Sun 09-Oct-11 08:40:24

I like Louis!!

CurwySwide Sun 09-Oct-11 11:07:46

Louis is lovely - pronounced Louee not Lewis

rachel234 Sun 09-Oct-11 12:00:42

Why would you pronounce Louis the French way (I know Mr Walsh does so too), and not the German, English or Dutch way (all Loo-is) for example - I don't really get this love for French pronunciations in England.

In America St Louis is pronounced St Loo-is and even Mr Armstrong called himself Loo-is.

tammytoby Sun 09-Oct-11 12:03:54

I know a Louis who's name is pronounced Loo-is, so I don't think all English speakers pronounce it the French way.

Louis Smith would sound like Loo-is Smith anyway because of the S surname.

MorallyBankrupt Sun 09-Oct-11 20:38:20

I truly despise Louis said loo-ee. It's my most hated name.

Lewis on the other hand I like.

TheCrackFox Sun 09-Oct-11 20:52:45

Lewis is a bit meh. Louis is much nicer.

mayanna123 Sun 09-Oct-11 20:53:28

Not sure what you mean with "Louis but not Walsh" - do you mean not pronounced like him?

I actually agree about the French vs English/German pronunciation of Louis - we don't normally drop our 's' like the French, so why do so with Louis, it sounds a bit 'try hard' to me. I know a Spanish Luis, also pronounced Loo-is.

othersideofchannel Sun 09-Oct-11 20:59:57

Lou-ee is the French pronunciation of "Louis".

I think in English speaking countries incl the US it is pronounced Louis (like the city of St Louis). Louis Armstrong, when referring to himself in "Hello Dolly!," pronounces his name as "Lou-is" ("Hello, Dolly. This is Lou-is, Dolly"), pronouncing the 's'.

I prefer the French pronunciation, but not sure about giving it to a boy growing up in an English speaking country.

ailsanddave Sun 09-Oct-11 21:45:06

Thanks for the comments. We just meant that Louis Walsh wasn't the inspiration for the name! We are in Ireland and I think here it would always be pronounced Lou-ee. We don't want a first name that ends in 'S' when the surname starts with 'S'.

mathanxiety Sun 09-Oct-11 21:54:22

Lou-ee is the nicer pronunciation imo. Goes very well with Smith.

If Charlotte has the French pronunciation then so can Louis. And most Margots are Margo (silent T).

othersideofchannel Sun 09-Oct-11 22:05:21

My German aunt is Margot, pronounced Mar-gott. Again, it is just the English who pronounce it the French way, like escargot.

And Charlotte in German/Dutch/Swedish/Norweigan is Char-LOTTE.

mathanxiety Sun 09-Oct-11 22:18:35

But in Britain and Ireland, it is the French pronunciation that predominates.

poppydaisy Sun 09-Oct-11 22:24:25

I know two Louis's, one pronounces his name Loo-is, the other Lou-ie, so I think both (French and English) pronunciations are acceptable, but be prepared for people to mis-pronounce his name at times.

sqweegiebeckenheim Sun 09-Oct-11 23:43:38

real name Michael! really??!!

GirlBabs Sun 09-Oct-11 23:46:01

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Walsh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now