Talk

Advanced search

Valerie

(15 Posts)
tummytickler Sat 08-Oct-11 19:52:03

Somebody mentioned Valerie to me today, and I think I rather like it.
Not too keen on Val though - would Vee or Lally be a bit of a stretch (obviously I would try to keep full name).
I haven't mentioned it to dh yet, just mulling it over really.

manicinsomniac Sat 08-Oct-11 20:17:24

mmm, I'm not keen really.

I only know one (age 13). She is usually Val but I agree, it doesn't sound nice.

I think Vee or Lally work fine but the obvious one is Val and her school friends will probably adopt it.

Fixture Sat 08-Oct-11 20:40:38

I like it smile

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 08-Oct-11 20:41:43

Beautiful! and unique, I would think, in your dd's generation.

pchick Sat 08-Oct-11 20:42:53

I don't know any young Valerirs but if you like it, go for it!

catwithflowers Sat 08-Oct-11 20:44:11

I know a beautiful 13 year old one. Pretty name

MelinaM Sat 08-Oct-11 22:39:54

Reminds me of that fab Mark Ronson/Amy Winehouse track! I rather like itsmile

tammytoby Sun 09-Oct-11 13:27:26

I love Valerie - beautiful, classic and not overused. Works very well in most languages.

HappyAsIAm Mon 10-Oct-11 10:45:28

I really like it - unusual for a child being born nowadays but everyone would know how to spell and say it and its got lovely sounds.

LittlePebble Mon 10-Oct-11 11:49:47

My mothers name and she's beautiful grin definitely could be Vee or Lally as a nickname. Go for it grin

shoobidoo Mon 10-Oct-11 11:51:18

Love Valerie!

pranma Mon 10-Oct-11 12:57:04

It is my name.The only modern one I know is Julian Clary's dog!
I used to hate it but now I percieve it as quite pretty.It sounds lovely in French and has Roman origins I believe.The Eastern Europeans use Valery as a boy's name.
I dont mind Val but Lally is original and sweet.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 10-Oct-11 14:27:03

Good name. What about Vally as a nickname?

catsareevil Mon 10-Oct-11 14:35:08

I think it might be seen as being a bit old fashioned. I see it as being of the same sort of name as Linda, Avril etc. Nothing wrong with them in themselves, but you can pretty much guess how old they are likely to be.

andypandypuddle Tue 11-Oct-11 18:51:02

It is my middle name and I have always hated it so so much! I used to be teased endlessly at school about it and have almost never forgiven my parents for giving me the name! Just wanted to give you the perspective of someone with the name...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now