Talk

Advanced search

Giving only one child a middle name

(10 Posts)
notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Thu 06-Oct-11 11:54:40

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of a sibling having a middle name when you didn't, or vice versa, and if it created any jealousy. Or if anyone knows any families where this is the case.

We live abroad and DS1 doesn't have a middle name, but his name can easily be used in both languages. However, the name we like for DS2 (I'm due in a few weeks) is very traditionally English (although does have an equivalent in this language, it is quite different and I'm not that keen on it), so we were thinking of giving him a middle name from here, to keep his options open when he's older.

What do you think? Is this a recipe for disaster or a complete non-issue?

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Thu 06-Oct-11 11:58:43

My oldest sister has a middle name and me and my other sister still accuse her of being the favourite even though we are all in our thirties now.

It's never been a source of genuine upset, mild annoyance really. I really would have liked a middle name. <sulks>

bottlebank Thu 06-Oct-11 12:01:53

How old is DS1? I'd say you should go for it, give DS2 a middle name and if DS1 has an issue with it now or in the future let him choose a middle name for himself (within reason of course) smile

savoycabbage Thu 06-Oct-11 12:08:52

This happened to my mother, she was a third child, and she is a but miffed that she doesn't have one. Like they couldn't be bothered to think of one.

notso Thu 06-Oct-11 12:09:11

My best friend did this, her DS1 had a middle name to honour a family member who died. Her DS2 doesn't have one so chose his own, he chose Pie his favourite food. He is three and a half.

notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Thu 06-Oct-11 12:34:20

Cheers for your replies. It seems to be that most issues are with an older sibling having a middle name and this would be the other way round.

Like the idea of letting DS1 choose a middle name if it becomes an issue, although not too sure about Pie (with DS it would be Pasta) smile

moogalicious Thu 06-Oct-11 12:37:29

I'm an older sibling without a middle name <waves>. Never been an issue, in fact I quite like being different.

pinkgirlythoughts Thu 06-Oct-11 12:53:07

My cousin doesn't have a middle name, his younger brother and sister do. I don't think it's ever been an issue for them.

That said I'd be really miffed if one of my sibs had a middle name and I didn't. I've always wanted to have a middle name smile

DejaWho Thu 06-Oct-11 13:52:15

I've got one and lil-bro has two if that's any help?

Doesn't bother me - he just has to write more when filling out forms - hah hah!

earshot Thu 06-Oct-11 15:06:10

We did the same for DD - she's got a bit of an unusual first name so got a second name she could have some choice in the future if she hated it but DS only got one. My only excuse is that first time round with Ds even deciding on one name was traumatic enough. Thanks for tip of choose your own middle name though. Will save that for later (DS would definitely chose Thomas-the-tank-engine right now!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now