Talk

Advanced search

melissa

(19 Posts)
greenzebra Wed 05-Oct-11 10:20:56

Been thinking about this name for future DD2, what do you guys think pretty? Overused? Underused? Too pretty?

Queenofthehill Wed 05-Oct-11 10:22:46

I love it. Just pretty enough.

Meteorite Wed 05-Oct-11 10:55:26

Lovely, a very pretty name. A few years ago it might have sounded quite dated but I think it's had enough of a rest to be due a comeback smile

SpanglyGiraffe Wed 05-Oct-11 10:58:05

Love it! Really pretty & underused.

ShoutyHamster Wed 05-Oct-11 11:41:32

Fab. Have always like this and it's really, really underused. Pretty but also nicely grown-up, just a touch European.

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 05-Oct-11 11:43:29

One of DD's little friends at nursery is Melissa. I hadn't heard it for years so assumed she meant Alyssa or something, but no, Melissa it is smile Just due a comeback I think.

TeacupTempest Wed 05-Oct-11 11:55:03

I really liked it and wanted it on our list but DH not so keen (not for any particular reason). Not so keen if it gets shorted to Mel though, but I think that might be because we know quite a few from our group of friends...

dearheart Wed 05-Oct-11 14:08:49

Love it - and really love the nn Liss

pommedechocolat Wed 05-Oct-11 16:46:07

I love this name. Unfortunately dh's significant ex was Melissa nn Lissa so it would be a bit odd for us otherwise I would have it in my top 3 for dd2.

BigHotMama Wed 05-Oct-11 18:24:25

Wahey! Great choice as my name is Melissa and I have always loved it, but people do shorten it to mel and I have it Spelt wrong a lot which is annoying. I think it means honey bee. Go for it! I know Angela griffin called her youngest Melissa too.

joshandjamie Wed 05-Oct-11 18:36:30

Another Melissa here and this is a rhyme I was given as a child, which I've always loved and remembered:

Melissa, Melissa little honey bee
You're as sweet as the nectar of the honey tree
To the good times you're a true devotee
Your life is a party, a grand jubilee
When your wings take flight you are happy and free
To explore new tomorrows with delight and glee.

BigHotMama Wed 05-Oct-11 18:39:23

Ahh that is lovely am going to write that down, made me smile smile

Dukandoit Thu 06-Oct-11 12:21:59

Beautiful name, but I'm biased too as we gave it to Dd!! She loves her name and it isn't shortened to Mel by her friends but Miss, Missie and Milly.
As well as meaning "a honey bee" it is the name for the herb Lemon Balm. This herb was introduced to Britain by the Romans and was recommended for its ability to "make the heart merry" and revive the spirits. We also discovered that it is a very popular name in Australia.
I love your rhyme joshandjamie!! (Waves hello to other Melissas)

randomimposter Thu 06-Oct-11 12:53:37

Have always really liked Melissa - lovely meaning, great NNs, and not widely used now.

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Thu 06-Oct-11 17:00:45

My friend has a 2 yr old Melissa smile

minipie Thu 06-Oct-11 18:48:59

Lovely. As long as you can avoid Mel and use Liss, Milly etc.

BigHotMama Fri 07-Oct-11 17:46:07

Nothing wrong with mel?? Milly sounds nothing like Melissa? But that is my opinion. I like mel or lissa.

I really like it.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 07-Oct-11 20:44:11

Due a comeback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now