Talk

Advanced search

Potential girl's name

(29 Posts)
thistlemuncher Wed 05-Oct-11 08:35:44

Go on then, do your worst...just don't insult the second name wink Which do you prefer and why? Does one combination sound better than the other?

Charlotte Joanna
Athena Joanna
Chloë Joanna
Artemis Joanna
Nathalie Joanna

DH has vetoed one of them, won't tell you which. But then his favourite names are Sandra and Lena which I have vetoed! Our surname begins with "S" so let me know if it spells something I haven't noticed. DS is called Alexander (usually called Alex, but I call him Xander)

I prefer the Greek spelling of Khloë and Athene, but think maybe they're a bit too unusual.

Of course, it might all be immaterial as we don't know yet if it's a boy or a girl...

manicinsomniac Wed 05-Oct-11 09:08:12

I like Charlotte and Nathalie best.

I teach an Athene but yes, I agree it's unusual.

LiviaAugusta Wed 05-Oct-11 09:24:09

I think a two syllable FN sounds best with the MN (which I love) and I think Chloe sounds better than Charlotte. Having said that, Athena's lovely too but not sure about the two 'a' endings (Athene Joanna?).

Charlotte Joanna is beautiful and classic.

IvyAndGold Wed 05-Oct-11 09:30:04

Charlotte Joanna is my favourite smile

comedaygoday Wed 05-Oct-11 09:47:55

Prefer Charlotte Joanna.

lizzieloubee1 Wed 05-Oct-11 10:02:28

I like Nathalie Joanna. I would consider Artemis to be a boy's name.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Oct-11 10:21:09

Athena Joanna is my favourite. Do like Chloe but 'tis very popular and the Khloe spelling is a little too unsual, think some people would confuse it with a u-nek spelling, innit grin

thistlemuncher Wed 05-Oct-11 10:32:15

thanks for the comments so far! We live on the border between two language regions and in one Chloë doesn't make it into the top 50, in the other it's number 9. Child would most likely be schooled in the first language, so I'm not so bothered about that issue. I'm sorry blush but I don't understand the last part of your comment. I'm afraid I'm very anti anything Roman/Latin and although I love the name Chloë, the spelling with the c seems against my principles and grates a bit. DH doesn't like the K though!

DH has vetoed Charlotte as 'only old people are called that.' I suggested Lottie as a nickname and he nearly had a heart attack!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Oct-11 10:36:46

How should I put it, Khloe may be mistaken for being part of a socio-economic group that you clearly don't belong to, especially if she has a double barrelled name or a you decide to hyphenate the first names, for instance Khloe-Mae Davies-Shufflebotham, and I'm not talking Parker-Bowles type of hyphenation either grin

thistlemuncher Wed 05-Oct-11 10:53:08

Ah ok. Thanks. She definitely won't have a double barrelled name. Will have to re-think my thoughts on that...but I'm really anti Latin...decisions decisions.

If we didn't live in a predominantly German speaking area she would be called Joanna as a first name but I cannot stand the Yo-hanna pronunciation!

Meteorite Wed 05-Oct-11 10:56:24

Nathalie Joanna is my favourite from your list smile All nice names though.

dearheart Wed 05-Oct-11 14:18:51

What about Helene Joanna - Lena can be a short form of Helene. Would suggest Helena, which i love, but Helena Joanna is a bit much.

I like Natalie too.

thistlemuncher Wed 05-Oct-11 14:23:16

Helena is a no - it's too similar to my sister's name. It was one that we considered but didn't make it to the short-list.

HappyFinnish Wed 05-Oct-11 14:27:42

I'm sensing a bit of a Joanna theme here.

I think Athena Joanna rolls better off the tongue but I prefer Athene, which you mention.

trilottie Wed 05-Oct-11 16:30:04

Well I'm called Charlotte and I'm only 30! I dislike my name, and hate all nicknames though so I can't really recommend it. I think Charlotte Joanna has a few too many syllables though. I like Chloe Joanna for that reason.

ShoutyHamster Wed 05-Oct-11 16:36:22

I don't think Athene is too unusual, and the ending goes better with Joanna.

Either that or Charlotte.

thistlemuncher Wed 05-Oct-11 16:40:18

I know a few Charlottes in my year range (I'm 30 too). There are many names which I think nice but DH thinks old-fashioned and vice versa. He was brought up French/German speaking. We have a bit of a name-culture clash!

There are many names used which are the same, but from different generations. He likes Sandra and Barbara which are seen as 'young' names here whereas for me they're for 60 yr olds. I like Emma, Emily but again only 90 year olds are called that and he can't associate it with a baby.

Take the point about the syllables. Although, in reality, she would probably never be called by both names.

QueenVictoria42 Wed 05-Oct-11 16:42:54

Charlotte is the best out of your list. I think it is gorgeous. I don't know ANY old Charlotte's - unless he considers early 30s to be old?
Athena is a close 2nd. Very pretty, stylish name.
Chloe - ugh, awful, just lacks imagination I feel.
Artemis = boys name to my ear at least.
Nathalie - dislike. It is unlikely to apply to you, but I just hear the name being said in a Thames estuary accent, dropping the T, so it comes out as
Na(t)-er-lee. 'Oi, Na-er-lee, come 'ere will ya'. Yuck.

thistlemuncher Wed 05-Oct-11 16:54:20

I don't know any old Charlottes either, but then I'm from the UK and DH is not. That's the problem, we have different ideas of what an 'old' name is. We don't live in the UK and are unlikely to ever move there.

Offspring Thu 06-Oct-11 03:53:54

I like Nathalie best of your list.

minipie Thu 06-Oct-11 16:30:20

Charlotte is very nice. Lots of them at the moment though (your DH is out of date smile)

I think Artemis is a bit male sounding (even though I know it's a goddess) and also lacks nice nicknames.

Chloe is very nice, and not too ubiquitous at the moment. Khloe just makes me think of Khloe Karshadian (sp?)

Nathalie is ok. I prefer Natalie. How about Natalia? Natalia Joanne rather than Natalie Joanna...

scarlettlips Thu 06-Oct-11 18:36:39

I know 2 little girl called Athena and Artemis...at first i was a bit hmm shock but now I love them. Athena is very sweet.

thistlemuncher Thu 06-Oct-11 19:57:04

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that Khloë is off list sad I've just been told that its too close to the German for toilet (Klo) so I think we'd have to stick to the latin spelling.

minipie - We'd use the French spelling of Nathalie else I'd be forever correcting people. (DH is French/German mother tongue.) Joanna is a definite, I don't like Joanne!

scarlettlips - are they sisters?

BaaBaaHerdwickSheep Thu 06-Oct-11 22:36:38

I LOVE Artemis. Much much underused. I want it for DC2 but DH won't have it. Boo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now