Talk

Advanced search

Emilia or Eloise????

(10 Posts)
Hope88 Wed 05-Oct-11 02:04:41

Please I need a help with this one. I cannot decide. Which one shall I go for? And why?

manicinsomniac Wed 05-Oct-11 03:17:09

I prefer Emilia but not really sure why - it sounds softer maybe.

Offspring Wed 05-Oct-11 04:23:46

I LOVE Eloise. It's beautiful. I was going to use it for this bump but it probably wouldn't suit him wink.

Emilia is nice also, it's not as if you can go wrong with either but my preference is definitely for Eloise.

QueenVictoria42 Wed 05-Oct-11 16:46:37

Eloise. With Emilia, I always think you'll have the constant Emilia/Amelia mix up. Less likely with Eloise - although I suppose some people might mishear it as Louise, but it's easily corrected.

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Oct-11 16:50:29

Eloise is beautiful. I love it. Please use it.

Emilia is nice, but not so nice and there is the Emilia/Amelia situation too.

Meteorite Wed 05-Oct-11 17:45:48

Emilia

whatever17 Wed 05-Oct-11 18:02:40

Emilia is the Italian version of Amelia - I love it but not a fan of "unusual" spellings.

randomimposter Thu 06-Oct-11 12:57:37

I really like Emilia, and much prefer it to Eloise. But probably cos I don't like Ellie NNs. Eloise itself is also pretty.

marjolaine Thu 06-Oct-11 13:18:21

OP, if you really can't decide, I would say both names out loud with baby's intended surname. Which do you prefer the sound of? Would you be pronouncing Emilia as Em-ee-lee-ah or Em-eel-ya? Which would bother you more to have people think your baby is called, Amelia or Louise? (someone somewhere will always get it wrong) I can't think of any cultural things related to Emilia (besides the E-Romagna region) but do you like/mind the Eloise books? You could always wait and see which baby looks more like (as much as a newborn can 'look like' a name anyway)

As to my choice, I prefer Emilia, but do think both names are lovely. (Note: I think Emilia is Italian for Emily.)

oohlaalaa Thu 06-Oct-11 13:39:59

I love both these names. DH likes neither.

I marginally prefer Emilia with Emmy as a nn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now