Talk

Advanced search

Unusual but not ridiculous - opinions?

(34 Posts)
magicstar78 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:25:41

DH and I already have two DSs Rohan Hamish (known as Rolo) and Darwin Cassius and are now expecting twins! We don't know the gender so we're going to have to be extra creative in getting four sets of names smile

We have got a few ideas but none that we are completely sold on. I'll put them below and any feedback would be fab as well as suggestions.

Girls
Melanie Alice
Skye Flora
Tansy Juliet
Luna Phoebe

Boys
Ty Leonard
Gray Finnian
Oswald Rupert
Fergus Gabe

Opinions welcome as well as suggestions/different combinations of names we have listed.

TIA

hester Tue 04-Oct-11 22:45:23

Congratulations - you must be very excited!

There's nothing wrong with any of your names, but some I like more than others. Melanie is a bit blah for me, and Skye a bit hippyish. I think Luna will get called Looney or Luna Lovelace. But Tansy - now that I like a lot! Really pretty, especially with Juliet. A big vote for that one. Tansy Flora would also work but Tansy Juliet is my favourite.

On the boys' names, actually my favourite is Leonard, shortened to Lenny. Finnian, shortened to Finn, also really nice but possibly over-popular for you? Is Gabe short for Gabriel? I quite like it. I like Fergus and Gray, Ty doesn't move me one way or the other, Oswald I positively dislike (probably because of the Moseley connection, though I don't think this would necessarily occur to many people).

So, my votes are for Tansy Juliet (with Flora Alice for possible second girl) and Leonard Gray (with Fergus Gabe for possible second boy).

Other suggestions: Lydia, Ada, Julia, Roisin, Josie, Sara, Tamsin, Marina, Anna, Rachel, Allegra, Talia.
Seth, Joseph, Joel, Jed, Reuben, Noah, Isaac, Oisin, Sam.

MrsOzz Tue 04-Oct-11 23:01:49

Love Luna (LuLu)

I also like Nell (Elena, Helena)
Juliette nn Etta or Lettie

Adore Fergus. Also like Angus and Rufus.

Kayano Wed 05-Oct-11 00:13:01

I think Melanie is too boring with all those awesome sibling names tbh.

I love all the rest though xwink

manicinsomniac Wed 05-Oct-11 03:27:29

Melanie Alice - Quite pretty And think Melanie must be quite unusual now.
Skye Flora - I love Skye but I think Flora Skye flows better than Skye Flora
Tansy Juliet - Love it. Haven't heard Tansy before but it's so unusual and pretty and Juliet is one of my favourites.
Luna Phoebe - not overly keen on either of these.

Ty Leonard - It's okay. Leonad a bit old mannish perhaps.
Gray Finnian - prefer Finnian Gray as I think Gray is a bit too 'out there'
Oswald Rupert - way too posh
Fergus Gabe - really like Fergus. Think I'd go for Gabriel rather than shorten.

From your suggestions I would chooose:
Twin girls - Tansy Juliet and Flora Skye
Twin boys - Fergus Gabriel and Finnian Gray
One of each - Tansy Juliet and Fergus Gabriel.

Other suggestions:
Girls - Alannah, Camilla, Catriona, Eliane, Francesca, Isla, Iona, Julia, Lydia, Mackenzie, Natasha, Rhiannon, Teagan, Zara.
Boys - Angus, Aaron, Callum, Edward, Finlay, Henry, Kieron, Liam, Nicholas, Oscar, Patrick, Talon, William, Zachary.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 05-Oct-11 08:27:10

I like your girls middle names but not first names. For boys, I only like Fergus from that list.

bex2011 Wed 05-Oct-11 09:21:35

Many congratulations!

From your girls names I like Tansy, Alice and Flora, but none of your combinations really stand out for me.

From your boys names I love Fergus Gabe but do agree with others that Gabriel sounds more complete. I have a Gus and he is just Gus. We have had great reactions about his name. I also like the name Rupert. I'd second what some other posts have said suggesting Angus and Rufus. How about Otto, Otis or Hugo.

Have fun choosing!

ShoutyHamster Wed 05-Oct-11 09:34:13

Twin girls: definitly Tansy Juliet and Flora Skye - absolutely lovely! (Skye Flora doesn't work for me, just does not flow AT ALL).

Your boys names, though... hmm not great! Ty, Gray, Oswald, Leonard - not good at all. Finnian - ok, but Finn is MASSIVELY popular.
Twin boys - Rupert and Fergus - both lovely. Middle names for these - Gabe is good, better if short for Gabriel, but I guess it doesn't matter for a middle name, and Rupert Gabe fits the best here. A middle name for Fergus - Milo? Miles? Arthur? Owain? Hector?

jellybeans Wed 05-Oct-11 09:51:17

Double congrats smile I have twins and have loved every minute.

I like

Skye Flora
Luna Phoebe

Ty Leonard

Plus a few suggestions

Leonie/Leona
Faith
Noelle
Joely
Lucinda
Bryony
Sabina
Serena
Shauna
Eloise

Quentin
Evan
Zakaryia
Devon
Kaleb
Joel

Akandra Wed 05-Oct-11 09:58:07

My dd's name is Mallory and my friend has 2 ds called Corben and Flynn. I think those all fall into the unusual but not ridiculous category. I get a lot of compliments for Mallory.

comedaygoday Wed 05-Oct-11 10:04:26

Girls: I love the names Flora and Juliet especially Flora because of Cold Comfort Farm. Not so keen on the others, sorry.

Boys: I would avoid Oswald because of Mosley. I like Gabe, but prefer Gabriel. Leonard is nice and different.

razzdazz Wed 05-Oct-11 10:47:16

I adore the name Flora and actually wanted it until a friend sang me a song about being easy to spread and visions of primary school and teasing became quite vivid. Maybe I shouldnt let it put me off!! wink

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Oct-11 10:54:42

Not keen on Melanie (or Smelly Melly) as a girl in our village got called or Skye. Agree that Luna would be asking for trouble too.

Do absolutely love Tansy Juliet though, it's lovely.

From your boys list I like

Oswald Rupert and Fergus and Leonard the best.

How about Leonard Gray or Fergus Finnian?

Congratulations from me too smile

rachel234 Wed 05-Oct-11 11:28:10

Congratulations! I think Rolo & Darwin go well with
Tansy & Luna
Ty & Oswald
and also like the suggestions of Angus, Quentin or Gabriel.

dearheart Wed 05-Oct-11 14:22:17

I like Tansy and Flora too.

greenzebra Wed 05-Oct-11 17:17:28

Tansy and Luna

Ty and Gray

And if you were having mixed I would go for Tansy and Gray or Ty and Luna.

magicstar78 Wed 05-Oct-11 18:15:13

First of all, thanks for all of the feedback - I didn't expect so much so quickly!

Although I love the suggestions of using Flora and Tansy together do you think it sounds a bit too flowery?

Out of the rest of the suggestions we both love Quentin, Milo, Otto and Rufus (for boys) and Sabina, Tamsin, Camilla and Marina.

Keep the responses coming!

ragged Wed 05-Oct-11 18:19:43

The only one I really balk at is Oswald. I just don't think it sounds very nice and sounds too "serious" compared to the flavour of your other choices.

20wkbaby Wed 05-Oct-11 18:20:46

Deliberately have not read other posts to give you my honest opinion not swayed by other comments.

Girls
Melanie Alice - love Alice, Melanie a bit old fashioned imo
Skye Flora - again love Flora but Skye not so much
Tansy Juliet - love Tansy but think of it as a bit of a nickname although not sure for what. Juliet seems a bit ordinary considering your other names
Luna Phoebe - love both of these but not sure they flow together

Boys
Ty Leonard
Gray Finnian
Oswald Rupert
Fergus Gabe

Of your boys names I only really like Finnian and Gabe (although would use Gabriel).

upatdawn Wed 05-Oct-11 19:11:21

I love the names of your DSs, you have great taste smile

I love all of the boys names except Oswald and Finnian, and if I were to put them into different combinations I would go for Ty Rupert and Fergus Gray.

Out of the girls I love them all except Luna and Phoebe and would go for teh combos Melanie Flora and Tansy Juliet.

Hope I helped!

upatdawn Wed 05-Oct-11 19:11:51

the combos

ThePosieParker Wed 05-Oct-11 19:16:55

Meh. Trouble is OP NOONE ever uses middle names.

Out of all girl's names I only like Flora

And boys Gabriel. Lee Harvey Oswald is not anyone (so tragic) that I would name a child after.....

Scathac Wed 05-Oct-11 19:49:25

Skye Flora sounds like the title of a botany book about vegetation on the Isleof Skye. Gray Finnian sounds like the name of a fish. The red finnian, or the gray??? Luna Pheobe is sure to become Loony Pheobe. I love Tansy, but Tansy Juliet? Sounds as though Juliet is being described as "tansy" - what could that mean? drunk, perhaps? That's basically what's wrong with most of the combos - the names themselves are lovely choices, but somehow you are combining them in a way which makes the first name sound like an adjective!! Also, no-one ever actually uses their second name, do they?? So I'd be a bit careful with the order of names if I were you.

expectingnumber2 Wed 05-Oct-11 21:47:17

Love Ty and Gray, not sure if you could use them together though hmm

Same with Tansy and Flora - love them both but too flowery together!

Rhubarbgarden Thu 06-Oct-11 09:35:01

Ooh Bex2011 if this is a boy he will be a Gus! Good to hear you get positive reactions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now