Talk

Advanced search

Sophie/ia

(11 Posts)
mrsmummy84 Tue 04-Oct-11 13:02:04

How popular are Sophie and Sophia as names this year so far? I know they're both in the top 10 for last year, but of all the baby girls I've heard of being born this year, all except one has had a 'flower' name (Poppy, Daisy, Lily etc). Sophie/ia is on our shortlist at the moment, but we want something more unusual if it's going to be very popular again this year.

themightyskim Tue 04-Oct-11 13:13:22

I think they are still pretty much up at the top, can think of several new babies with one or the other off the top of my head

Northernrose Tue 04-Oct-11 13:42:26

2010 In england and wales Sophie was #3, Sophia was #27 and Sofia was #62
we have a Sophia, born this year, and I have only met one other, an American girl aged 5.
I guess it'll probably remain relatively popular so depends how much you like it and which variant you prefer I guess! We're biased of course! wink

Meteorite Tue 04-Oct-11 14:51:41

Quite high up the list I think, although I haven't met any little Sophie/Sophias.

MelinaM Tue 04-Oct-11 19:41:57

Both are still very popular, I know of two Sofia's and three Sophie/Sofie's. Tis a lovely name thoughsmile

StrandedBear Tue 04-Oct-11 21:11:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Georgimama Tue 04-Oct-11 21:14:08

My Sophia was born 9 weeks ago, the couple who live next door to my brother (same village) called their daughter Sophia born last week. I chose it as a not very original alternative to the now ubiquitous Isabel/Isabella/Isobel.

CharlieBoo Tue 04-Oct-11 21:17:38

Sophia is the new in name for baby girls... There's loads here, I like it, but if you don't want Mega popular, 3 in school class... avoid avoid avoid...

mrsmummy84 Wed 05-Oct-11 06:13:43

Thankyou!!! Just out of curiosity, I have noticed popularity seems to be partly regional, so if you don't mind me asking, where abouts in the in the country are you all? I'd be in the South-West (currently away, but will be back).

bumasbigasthetv Wed 05-Oct-11 06:59:42

i'm in north east wales and my nearly 8 year old Sophie is the only one i know! She is the only one in her school (admittedly there's only about 150 that go there) and there have never been any in dance class etc. I think it varys by region x

Georgimama Wed 05-Oct-11 17:32:53

South west.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now