Talk

Advanced search

David

(16 Posts)
boodleboot Sat 01-Oct-11 22:38:05

Ok...dh is david, uncle is david, brother in law is david, grandad is david and dh has just announced its his fav name for our bump if blue.....i get the family connection etc but despite thinking it a good strong name am just slightly underwhelmed.....i wanted a cassius or a julius or an augustine.....and instead i get another bloomin david!!!

That said i do like then name....what do u lot think? We already have an ellie, james and an alice.... smile

Beamur Sat 01-Oct-11 22:39:33

Mmm, I think it's a name that is looking a bit dated, it needs a rest for a generation then will be popular again. Tis a classic, but I wouldn't use it.

Clary Sat 01-Oct-11 23:22:28

I would personally avoid at all costs naming a son after his father.

Apart from the fact that it probably sounds dated (DH's name is very much of its era; David is too tbh) I also think it's a bit confusing in the family. Also think about the mail - Mr David Jefferson won't identify who it is and they will open each other's bank statements. DH and his dad just shared an initial and that still used to happen.

Janoschi Sun 02-Oct-11 02:34:54

I actually love David - it was on my list for a boy. How about a variation, ie:

Dafydd, Dewi or Dai (Welsh)
Daveth (Cornish)
Davis
Dovid (Yiddish)

Janoschi Sun 02-Oct-11 02:37:16

Also:

Dawson
Davion
Tab (bizarre but there you go!)

NotADudeExactly Sun 02-Oct-11 07:21:46

I wouldn't do it.

A family name is lovely - but for every male in the clan to go by the same name is a bit much IMHO. Also very unusual for your DH to want to name his son after himself, so to speak.

Can you use it as a middle name perhaps, if a compromise is required?

baskingseals Sun 02-Oct-11 07:42:19

like David, but love Augustine.

why don't you use David as a middle name?

congratulations though smile

boodleboot Sun 02-Oct-11 07:43:26

I think its weird to want to name a baby after yourself too!!! Its just such a serious name for a baby and feels to me like a waste of a good naming opportunity.....will veto david as first name...its just too bleurgh even without the father son weirdness.....damn dh. ;)

Meteorite Sun 02-Oct-11 08:32:12

It's a very nice name, a classic. Not overused at the moment and makes a change from all the other Biblical names which are currently very popular.

MrsBuntyCulDeSacWonder Sun 02-Oct-11 12:46:59

Not keen. I think it's a bit bland, and I prefer your suggestions. Also, IMHO I think it's a bit egotistical wanting to name a child after you, and unimaginative.

pilates Mon 03-Oct-11 10:44:58

I would use it for a middle name.

saffronwblue Mon 03-Oct-11 10:48:42

My DS is David. It was my father's name. I like it (obviously) as it is a classic and traditional name, everyone knows how to spell it and there are not many about at this age.
In your shoes, however I would struggle with all the other ones in the family.

ReelAroundTheFountain Mon 03-Oct-11 10:50:16

My DH is a David and whilst I do think it is classic etc he is known as Dave which he feels (and I do agree to some extent) has been really dumbed down in recent years.

rachel234 Mon 03-Oct-11 12:59:13

You cannot give your ds excactly the same name as his dad! Middle name yes, but surely not first name. How unimaginative and confusing confused!

rachel234 Mon 03-Oct-11 13:00:50

But love Augustine, Cassius and Julius or how about Quentin, Tristan or Dominic?

tammytoby Mon 03-Oct-11 13:10:48

David is a lovely underused name. However I would never ever give my child the excact same name as his mum or dad - how unimaginative, confusing and egoistical, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now