Talk

Advanced search

Is this really an issue???

(278 Posts)
Sim2 Sat 01-Oct-11 02:33:24

My brother has a one year old called Eva..I have just called my daughter Eve- both girls have different middle and surnames yet my sister in law has fallen out with us!!!
Is this really an issue?!..surely it doesn't matter at all!!

frutilla Sat 01-Oct-11 02:46:15

I think she is probs upset that you didn't bring it up with her before naming DD, something along the lines of "I always liked the name Eve for a girl, I know it's similar to Eva but I hope you don't mind..." Not asking if you could, just telling her in advance sort of thing...

Sim2 Sat 01-Oct-11 02:50:30

They knew it was a name I always liked before they named their daughter and in fact until the last minute it was going to be the middle name but my husband didn't like the first name we had and so it was the only other name we had!

maras2 Sat 01-Oct-11 03:38:20

I wouldn't fall out about it but it does seem a bit daft though when you think of all of the millions of other names.

PotteringAlong Sat 01-Oct-11 04:26:02

I think it's an issue that, with all the millions of names that exist, your parents now have 2 grandchildren called to all intents and purposes exactly the same thing.

I can see where sil in coming from. I might silently fume at the ridiculousness of it rather thqn outwardly fall out with you, but I would be irritated.

Sorry.

lljkk Sat 01-Oct-11 04:51:30

What Maras2 said.

tryingtoleave Sat 01-Oct-11 04:54:42

I think it would be an unusual person who wouldn't be bothered by this.

Catslikehats Sat 01-Oct-11 05:17:31

I think there are very few circumstances where you can object to someone calling a baby the same/similar name as your own child. i am afraid for you that this is one of them.

Sim2 Sat 01-Oct-11 05:56:06

The problem was though we had no choice as I had 3 other names but my husband who teaches in a girls school didn't like any apart from this one! I was stuck and had to go with the father of the baby's favourite...

tryingtoleave Sat 01-Oct-11 06:03:36

There are more than three other names out there.

Sim2 Sat 01-Oct-11 06:12:40

I think any mother to be would struggle to find more than 3 other names they love and want to actually call their child..and ones that go with a surname etc..

Catslikehats Sat 01-Oct-11 06:24:18

In that case, should you have another DD, I look forward to "Eve2" grin

mnistooaddictive Sat 01-Oct-11 06:29:59

This would have seriously annoyed me. As someone else said, what will you do if you have another daughter? You found very previous btw.

nooka Sat 01-Oct-11 06:40:52

The names of my siblings' children /my nephews and nieces were not even on the table when I was thinking of naming my children. I think it is a really really odd thing to choose a name that is almost identical. It's going to be very confusing, especially to their grandparents.

Your reasoning is quite frankly pathetic too, there are thousands of girls names, of course there are more than four you could have picked. Plus was your dh only allowed to chose out of your four options? That the girls have different middle and surnames is irrelevant, do you expect your parents to refer to them by their full names all the time? They will be Eve and Eva, quite possibly at times both Evie.

If I was your brother/SIL I would really be wondering why you had chosen their dd's name for your own, and I would be mightily pissed off.

Mondayschild78 Sat 01-Oct-11 10:14:09

Congratulations on your new arrival. I can understand that your brother/SIL might find it a bit odd that you chose such a similar name to be honest.

I hope you like the middle name you picked as I imagine your dd may take it as a first name when she is a little older to distinguish herself from her cousin (not to mention all the other thousands of Eve/Evie/Eva's out there of the same age group...) It will be hard for your daughter as her cousin was first named so she may not feel she clearly has her own identity imo.

Good luck with building bridges with your family on this one.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 01-Oct-11 10:17:50

From a personal point of you- I would want my daughter to have something a bit more unique- the fact her cousin is called something virtually the same would be enough to put me off.

snailoon Sat 01-Oct-11 10:21:35

Children often love having almost the same name as someone they're close to. I don't think this is even a tiny problem.

ChippingIn Sat 01-Oct-11 10:21:45

Sorry - but this is bonkers. There are millions of names out there - calling your DD the same name as her cousin (a vowel different is hardly a different name!) is just barking. Get the baby name books out this weekend. I hope you haven't already registered her, but if you have you have up until her first birthday to change it without any hassle.

said Sat 01-Oct-11 10:27:31

Will they actually see each other? If they live in Australia and you don't, it's not an issue. If you see each other a lot, it's pretty odd.

WhoresHairKnickers Sat 01-Oct-11 10:27:59

I have two cousins that have the same first names, both of them are Dd's of my Mums elder sisters. There is about 4 years between them and it's never been a problem. They are both weird though! grin

I don't see why it's causing problems tbh. Does she pronounce it Eeva or eVa?

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Sat 01-Oct-11 10:29:20

I'm not at all surprised your SIL is miffed. Eva and Eve. That's not going to be annoying/confusing at all. And as for 3 names grin that's a poor excuse.

If you're happy with it then stick with it - they don't 'own' the name or get to choose what you call your DD. But equally you don't have the right to tell them not to be pissed off.

HoneyPablo Sat 01-Oct-11 10:29:53

I think it's a bit weird. Will both get Evie as a nickname?

HoHoLaughingMonster Sat 01-Oct-11 10:37:14

I think I would be upset too. But I'd have a mini sulk and then move on. So YANBU, and she is BU if she makes a massive thing of it.

PS. my brother and cousin have the same name and it's never been a problem.

I would be fucking furious.

holidaysoon Sat 01-Oct-11 10:47:56

slim what about those with 4 dd are you suggesting that they don't like the name of dd4 (or for that matter dd2,dd3 and dd4 if they go for 3 non surname names)

OP there was a great thread on here from someone who had a daughter colled something like Isabella Eve to be known as Bella and her SIL (who lived virtually next door and who was close ie spent lots of time together) called her 6 month younger daughter Isabelle Eva to be known as Belle

never found the end of the thread maybe someone else can?....

there are also all those families where everyone calls their first born son John (or similar)

funnily enough we have a few similar in our family (think Liam and William type names) but generally they are far enough apart for it not to matter I guess popular names are just that!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now