Talk

Advanced search

boys name shortlist

(19 Posts)
lottielob Fri 30-Sep-11 19:37:43

So due in a few weeks time and still struggling with first names (middle name sorted!) Any opinions on the following boys names or suggestions of similar names? I've come up with loads of names I like but everything has been vetoed (v. annoying!) except for the following:

Joseph
James
Michael (nn Mikey)
Oscar

all the names go ok with surname.
Thanks!

tummytickler Fri 30-Sep-11 19:45:05

I love Michael and James!
Oscar is a bit dull, Joseph is alright, but my ex when i was a teenager, so I have to say no grin

lottielob Fri 30-Sep-11 19:56:54

Thanks, Oscar was the one I thought was less dull and managed to squeeze in there from my random bizarre names list but I've been going off it lately because I've over-thought it I think.

MelinaM Sat 01-Oct-11 00:04:55

James, definitely Jamessmile

Oscar is VERY popular at the moment.
Joseph is okay, but hate the nn Jo/Joe.
Michael I find rather dull I'm afraid.

mathanxiety Sat 01-Oct-11 01:36:11

Love Joseph, Michael and Oscar. Mikey is a lovely nn. James sounds a bit meh to me, but I know two lovely little Jimmys.

Offspring Sat 01-Oct-11 03:51:02

I love Joseph too and is the potential name for our DS smile. Out of curiosity, what middle name will you be putting with it?

I'm not a huge fan of Oscar, but don't mind Michael or James.

Others on our shortlist are Elijah and Nathaniel.

RollOnTheMum Sat 01-Oct-11 04:14:46

James is a gorgeous name, especially like it as it can be shortened to Jamie

Mondayschild78 Sat 01-Oct-11 10:19:21

James was on our shortlist until our nephew was born (James/nn. Jamie) and I really like Mikey (but not Michael), Joseph is ok but a bit dull and Oscar is nice but very popular at the moment - although you could spell it like 'Oskar'

ChippingIn Sat 01-Oct-11 10:25:32

Out of your list definitely Oscar (and please don't change it to Oskar).

It's hard to make any other suggestions when we don't know what's already been crossed off the list. How many baby naming books have you tried?

lottielob Sat 01-Oct-11 10:34:32

Thanks for feedback. Interesting that Oscar is v popular, popularity doesn't really bother me because you never know what the next big name will be but I thought it was quite unusual!

MN will be Michael if it's not the first name (family name) or William if we go for Michael (which is also a family name).

I prefer Mikey to Michael, like Jim/Jamie/Jimmie better than James but much prefer Joseph to Joe!

My all-time favourite name is Nathaniel but that's been vetoed sad

Maybe he'll come out and I'll 'just know'... hopeful

lottielob Sat 01-Oct-11 10:38:51

ChippingIn, I've been through the baby name apps and a couple of books and loads of threads on here so in hindsight it's prob not worth asking for any more suggestions and just stick with the shortlist we have as no doubt I'll have suggested them before!

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Mon 03-Oct-11 14:49:44

James and Michael are timeless (I have BILs with those names) and they will suit tiny baby to grown man, and there are lots of great shortenings - though I prefer Jimmy to Jamie, myself.

We have a Joseph (known as Joe or Joey) named after FIL - so that probably is my favourite, though it is a bit popular at the moment (I imagine he'll be in a class with others, differentiated by his surname inital, something I'd've preferred to have avoided).

I like Oscar as a name, but I think it is a name of the moment - I think it'll date in a way the others won't. You will be able to tell which decade he was born in just by looking at his name (I'm thinking back to my school days - all the Claires, Lisas, Lees, Justins, Deans etc - you just know they were born early 70s). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's something I was keen to avoid (though I bet I've not managed it either grin).

pilates Mon 03-Oct-11 15:27:25

Joseph and James are my favourites.

Kveta Mon 03-Oct-11 15:30:22

I love Oscar/Oskar - I have a relative with that name (he's in his 20s now shock), and he's really cool, so that is a good association for the name for me. All the names are great, although Mikey as a nickname I don't like so much - but I do know a million and one Mikes who vary in age from early 20s to late 60s!! (ditto Matthew, which must have been an INCREDIBLY popular name 30 or 40 years ago!)

ChippingIn Mon 03-Oct-11 19:46:49

Do you like Nate if you go with Nathaniel??

If so (he will get called that) wait until DH has watched you give birth - he'll agree to anything, the name will be a small concession grin

Kaekae Tue 04-Oct-11 11:31:12

Love Michael!

Kaekae Tue 04-Oct-11 11:35:52

Sorry pressed post before I'd finished...

I love Michael! Its my 4 year olds middle name, not often you will come across a little boy called this nowadays which is refreshing.
I am so bored of Oscar, I know of 6 born within the last two years and there are two in my sons class.

Psammead Tue 04-Oct-11 12:28:43

I like James and Joseph.

Would you consider Patrick? Felix?

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Tue 04-Oct-11 18:05:45

I love James and Joseph and all the potential shorternings for them. Michael is a bit boring to me, this may just be cos I know quite a lot of them though (mostly in their 20s). Not keen on the potential nns for Michael, Mick and Mike sound like middle aged men names and Mikey is fine for a little boy but not a teenager/adult. Oscar is nice but quite popular and will date imo. Joseph Michael and James Michael are great names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now