Talk

Advanced search

Help with baby boys names - Indian origin

(18 Posts)
Maza1 Fri 30-Sep-11 14:55:43

Really struggling with a suitable baby boys name. As the baby's dad is of southern indian origin I was hoping to give him a name that reflects India.
Girls names are easy but finding it really difficult for boys names.
Obviously dont want the misproununciation issue as I live in Ireland.

Thanks heaps

motherinferior Fri 30-Sep-11 14:58:37

Oh, just give him a nice Tamil name. Call him Venkatesh Subramaniam. Balakrishnan. Go on. You know you want to.

Perfectly easy to pronounce IMO. (My south Indian mother gave me a nice South Indian name, dammit, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.)

motherinferior Fri 30-Sep-11 14:59:15

Narayan would be nice too.

Tortu Fri 30-Sep-11 19:38:03

Isn't there a Tamil name which is something like 'Arangan'? Could be shortened to Arun.

winkle2 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:25:40

Kyran
Kiran
Dayan
Ayan
Rayan
sunny
Jai
Jay
Arun
Raj

winkle2 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:26:30

What are your girls names chOices out of interest?

Maza1 Sat 01-Oct-11 12:36:37

Well I really love the name Asha for a girl and just generally think girls names are so much easier to pick.
Thanks for the suggestions above.

jenniec79 Sat 01-Oct-11 19:17:44

Not sure where it comes from in India but my best mate's oldest's middle name is Nishad - "the musical note Ni" which I love.

Meteorite Sat 01-Oct-11 21:41:07

I had a look at some baby name websites for Indian boys' names. However they all seem to be divided into either Hindu or Muslim names, and I didn't want to suggest something inappropriate - what would you suggest OP?

winkle2 Sat 01-Oct-11 22:31:02

I like Aisha for a girl/Ayesha/Alisha

My cousin is called Asha.

iskra Sun 02-Oct-11 08:46:32

I love Ravi.

Vikram
Sandeep

Don't know if those are north or south Indian names though, I suspect north Indian.

My cousin is called Narayan - it's a lovely name. he is white British of Jewish heritage so bit weird IMO but goes to Steiner school so it probably fits right in

Maza1 Thu 06-Oct-11 15:19:07

To Meteorite- I like the sound of muslim names but child's father is hindu so dont want to confuse him.

@ JennieC - Nishad is nice - what does it mean?

I'm thinking I may go with Kiran. Child has been born and people are torturing me since I havent picked a name.

dinkystinky Thu 06-Oct-11 15:22:36

My boys are half hindu half english - Kiran and Nikhil are their hindu names.

- Rohan
- Romit
- Jai
- Dev
- Taran
- Milan

were on our shortlist too.

dinkystinky Thu 06-Oct-11 15:23:13

Though be warned if you go for Kiran you WILL spend your life explaining its Kiran NOT Keiran!

dinkystinky Thu 06-Oct-11 15:39:32

Oh yes, just remembered one more - Dilan.

Maza1 Fri 07-Oct-11 21:31:49

What about Neelam for a boy, or is it girls only name? I quite like the sound of that.

LazyDaisy123 Fri 07-Oct-11 21:36:36

Not sure of origins but I know some boys called
Ishan
Ravi
Amit
Arun
Ajay

growing3rdbump Sun 09-Oct-11 03:39:22

I like the names Nilesh and T alvin. I also know a Rohan and a Tarun which are both nice too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now