Talk

Advanced search

Fortnight to go and I suddenly hate them all....

(21 Posts)
SaffronCake Fri 30-Sep-11 03:40:33

Baby's due date is 3 weeks from now but the midwife is reckoning it could be slightly early (last baby 10 days early too), so shall we say for comforts sake I have a week or two left.

Well I have decided I hate everything we'd thought of. Everything. I swear I have tried to not, to write it off as being a drama queen, hormones, funny sleep patterns... It's no good. Over the last 2 weeks I got less and less keen on every name we ever considered and now I'm worrying myself.

We had...

Boy:
Jonty
Miles
Simon
Aubrey

Girl:
Thalia
Violet
Leonore Tamsin
Ariadne Beatrice
Phedre (but too close to DD1's name)

Now I can't bring myself to even like them. Shall I go looking for other names to like, or shall I just blame it on the pregnancy and wait to see their little face?

Has anyone else ever done this or have I finally lost the plot beyond all mitigation?

Meteorite Fri 30-Sep-11 09:17:23

There's nothing wrong with your list of names - it's probably your hormones and lack of sleep!

FWIW I like Miles, Aubrey, Thalia, Violet and Ariadne Beatrice best from your list smile

othersideofchannel Fri 30-Sep-11 09:45:09

Love Aubrey and Jonty. Miles is the plural of Mile, so not keen on that.

Love Thalia, Leonore and Ariadne.

5daystogo Fri 30-Sep-11 10:16:31

Like Jonty, Thalia is beautiful and Violet

Meteorite Fri 30-Sep-11 11:10:44

Personally I'm not keen on Jonty - it's a bit prim and jaunty to my ears. But if you have Jonathan as full name you'd also have other options such as Jon or Jonny.

anewmotivatedme Fri 30-Sep-11 11:23:49

The following are lovely choices.

Miles
Simon
Aubrey

Thalia
Violet

I especially love Miles and Violet. Wait till you meet him or her.

minipie Fri 30-Sep-11 12:03:24

I like Miles and Simon for boys. don't like Jonty at all, sorry. Aubrey is ok.

I like all your girls' names.

What don't you like about them? Are there other names you are finding yourself drawn to?

SaffronCake Sat 01-Oct-11 23:16:48

I actually don't know what I don't like about them. I thought you'd all tell me how rubbish they were but it seems everyone likes at least a couple.

Maybe I've just over-thought them? Either that or I'm far too hormonal for my own good... come to think of it I have started crying at the news too.

mathanxiety Sat 01-Oct-11 23:43:21

I did this to some extent with DD3's name -- changed the mn on the way to the hospital and never looked back. There was nothing wrong with the original mn but the one I clearly must have had at the back of my mind all that time I am completely happy with.

FWIW, I love Simon and Leonore (or Leonora) Tamsin.

hester Sun 02-Oct-11 00:01:35

I like Miles, Thalia and Tamsin.

Janoschi Sun 02-Oct-11 02:41:14

I agree with the posters - your names are all lovely and I think they're varied enough to give you a lot of scope of The Day.

Frankly I got all in a twist with names in the last few weeks up to the birth but looking back I think it was my brain switching focus away from the upcoming birth and finding me a distraction! Once the baby was born, I stopped worrying and it was so easy to name her. Maybe it'll be the same for you.

frutilla Sun 02-Oct-11 03:24:01

I really like Jonty and Thalia best. Lovely choice!
Simon, Violet, Tamsin and Beatrice nice too.

Mondayschild78 Sun 02-Oct-11 10:18:43

saffroncake I have two weeks to go until due date and have been crying at Deal or no Deal

Why not forget about names for a few days and look at it again next week, the list looks fine to me

BlowHole Sun 02-Oct-11 10:21:12

Miles and Violet are lovely

Boy - Simon is vastly superior to the others imho. Aubrey is horrible.

Love Ariadne Beatrice.

SaffronCake Sun 02-Oct-11 22:37:10

Thank you everyone. I'm over-thinking it, lets see what he or she looks like and I expect I'll know know.

Hassled Sun 02-Oct-11 22:40:58

None of them are awful. Except maybe Jonty. And Leonore.
But yes, when you're holding the baby you'll know if it's an Ariadne or whatever. I'm a big believer in meeting the baby first. DS2 was definately going to be Patrick - when he arrived, he just didn't look like one.

hester Sun 02-Oct-11 23:01:00

I normally try to only say positive things, but I can't hold this back: Jonty is just awful. And he will get teased unless he only hangs out with very posh kids.

I speak as the half-sister of a Tarquin.

NadiaWadia Mon 03-Oct-11 01:30:45

I agree Jonty sounds like an upper-class wuss. Jonathan is nice though. You can't call him Aubrey! People will mis-hear it as Audrey. Simon is OK. Miles by far the best of your choices for a boy.

LittlePebble Mon 03-Oct-11 07:37:24

Saffron I'm 39+1 and have been doing exactly the same! Have three or four of each but suddenly panicking about all of them! Have decided it's hormones and am just going to wait until LO is born and think about it then.
Your names all look lovely to me btw wink

mathanxiety Thu 06-Oct-11 16:24:27

Hester -- my feelings exactly wrt Jonty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now