Talk

Advanced search

Blair?

(20 Posts)
CakeForCharlie Thu 29-Sep-11 23:08:09

For a girl. Wdyt?

Casmama Thu 29-Sep-11 23:11:03

Absolutely not - the Blair witch project? Perhaps if you must for a boy but not for a girl. sorry probably not what you wanted to hear.

wobblypig Thu 29-Sep-11 23:16:54

WITCH AND TONY - not for me . How about Blythe or Bonnie?

meala Thu 29-Sep-11 23:17:49

I really like it. It's unusual but not weird or made up and sounds lovely.

I don't think there would be many kids thinking of Blair Witch at all.

One of the characters in John Grisham's novel "Skipping Christmas" is a girl called Blair.

meala Thu 29-Sep-11 23:18:43

Blythe and Bonnie!!??!! hmm

wobblypig Thu 29-Sep-11 23:26:11

B names that is all. Not personal favourites just something a bit different as Blair would be.

mollschambers Thu 29-Sep-11 23:28:07

Sounds a little "Bleurgh" to me. Definitely not for a girl.

carpwidow Thu 29-Sep-11 23:29:24

I think it sounds like someone being sick. Sorry.

<<pass the bucket, bleugh>>

stomping Thu 29-Sep-11 23:30:47

Tony

Lionel

Witch

She will have to correct people who call her Claire

Bleugh

I wouldn't

Strumpypumpy Thu 29-Sep-11 23:35:04

Why? Is it a family name? I think it has too many negative connotations.

CakeForCharlie Thu 29-Sep-11 23:53:48

So that's a resounding "no" then? Haha! Thank you all for your honesty smile

There's alot of meaning behind it as it was DP's middle name. I mentioned it to his family (probably a very bad idea) and they think it's a great idea so I don't know how to tell them I've gone off it now! Still love the name but not quite for a girl. Just wanted some fresh opinions.

I would still like to use it, or something similar, for a middle name, do you think that would be okay? Or is it still too boy-ish? Can anyone suggest similar names? Thanks everyone.

mollschambers Thu 29-Sep-11 23:56:47

As a middle name it would be fine. Boyishness not an issue as it is a surname name and lots of people use surnames as middle names.

lurkinginthebackground Fri 30-Sep-11 00:25:57

I know a man called Blair. I don't think any chiuldren will associate it will Tony or Witch but lots of adults will, so it depends on weather that bothers you.

mathanxiety Fri 30-Sep-11 00:41:15

I went to school with a girl named Blair - or maybe she spelled it Blaire. It was distinctive and needed to be as she had a very common (as in 'filled many, many pages in the phone book') surname. Nice and sort of 20s ish.

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Fri 30-Sep-11 03:46:11

It's definitely a boy's name where I come from, but I actually like it for a girl maybe because I always thought of it as a slightly wet name for a boy.

I don't think it's too 'out there' at all.

SwottyKnickers Sat 01-Oct-11 13:01:52

When I hear Blair, I think of Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl. But yes, I also think of Tony Blair.

peggyblackett Sat 01-Oct-11 13:13:27

Definitely a Scottish boys name.

EdithWeston Sat 01-Oct-11 13:16:37

Tony is enough to put me off.

And I see it as a boy's name - like Blair Peach.

TangerineQueen Sat 01-Oct-11 13:25:54

Blair from Gossip Girl isn't masculine.

Lowers tone blush.

Janoschi Sat 01-Oct-11 20:10:15

I too thought Tony but then, reading along the posts, I actually started to really like it. And you have a family reason too. Tony, Lionel etc aren't great connections but will either of these be relevant once your daughter is grown up? Who now thinks of Reagan when someone suggests Ronald, for example? I think people can get a bit caught up in the celebrity culture of the day but it really is such a fleeting thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now