Talk

Advanced search

How many Islas do you know in Scotland?

(23 Posts)
littlemisschatterjee Thu 29-Sep-11 21:01:32

My 3 yr old dd is Ila (I know I may be criticised for the spelling, she was named for her grandmothersmile ), and when we named her we were unaware of the growing popularity of Isla - we live in England and have encountered a few. However, there is a possibility we may have to relocate to Scotland due to dh's job. I know Isla is even more popular up there, but just wondered how this translates on a day to day basis - so if you live in Scotland how many Islas do you know? - just a bit worried she will be one of many in her class!

ladywithnomanors Thu 29-Sep-11 21:05:37

I wouldn't know about the popularity in Scotland but i have an Isla and I really couldn't give a flying fuck how popular it is or is likely to become. I chose the name because I love it.

GibberingGinger Thu 29-Sep-11 21:08:48

I have three kids under 4 so know quite a lot of babies through nursery/baby groups etc. I only know of one baby Isla. (central scotland)

littlemisschatterjee Thu 29-Sep-11 21:12:55

good point, ladywithnomanors, I know that is the rational outlook, we also loved the name and had several reasons for choosing it - I can't say exactly why the popularity bothers me, it just does a bit (and I know I am being silly!)

Dinosaurhunter Thu 29-Sep-11 21:13:41

My Scottish friend that lives here( London) has just had a baby and named her islay which is how the island off Scotland is spelt - I think !

BonnieWeeJeannieMcCall Thu 29-Sep-11 21:41:39

Only one (aged 6). Aberdeenshire.

suzikettles Thu 29-Sep-11 21:43:37

I don't think there are any in ds's year (P1).

I know one, but she's 50.

BonnieWeeJeannieMcCall Thu 29-Sep-11 21:47:03

According to Scotlandspeople website, there were 534 born in Scotland in 2008. That includes girls who have Isla as a middle name. By way of comparison, there were 1324 Graces and 1171 Sophies.

izzybizzybuzzybees Thu 29-Sep-11 21:49:45

I know 2

cluelessnchaos Thu 29-Sep-11 21:52:34

In aberdeenshire I know two, one aged 6 and one aged 14

bramblina Thu 29-Sep-11 22:13:00

I live on the NW coast and know 3, but they are not in the same school, or age bracket, even.
In ds's school though we do have 3 Emilys, 3 Aimees, 2 Ellies 2 Katies etc so they are known as their name followed by surname initial. Your Ila has the benefit of- if the names are written down- easier to differentiate immediately as she has a different spelling! It is a pretty name though and even if popular, is not common, IYSWIM.

littlemisschatterjee Fri 30-Sep-11 08:13:27

Thanks everyone, feeling a bit reassured though would still be interested to hear any other thoughts.

Dinosaurhunter - yes Islay is the English spelling of the island, the Gaelic is Ila or Ile (another reason we kept the spelling). Apparently Islay can be a boy's name too though never met one!

OriginalPoster Fri 30-Sep-11 08:25:36

I know one, it's a lovely name.

bloombloombell Fri 30-Sep-11 13:49:09

Ive lived in the Borders, Fife, Perthshire and now in Moray and ive never met an Isla, i think its a lovely name smile

Northernrose Fri 30-Sep-11 14:47:49

I know 4... 1 baby 2 toddlers and middle aged adult (all spelt Isla). In central Scotland. Lovely name. Please don't worry about it...even if it's popular it's not common and all that means is other people loved the name for their daughter too! You can't control what other people call their babies and it's her name now! Plus as someone else said, your Ila has a different spelling and of course is a unique person in her own right!

Northernrose Fri 30-Sep-11 14:49:49

P.S I think the parents who called their child Unique (cant remember if this was 2009 or 2010's list) would be more upset if their child ended up in the class with the other baby called Unique that year!!!

PricklyThistle Fri 30-Sep-11 23:39:34

My DD's best friend is an Isla, but it's not THAT common, even though there's a river Isla near us! THere's more Ella's, Rubys and Abbeys.

Hullygully Fri 30-Sep-11 23:40:06

seb1 Sat 01-Oct-11 00:07:00

Have a look here for last year In total By council area

magentastardust Sat 01-Oct-11 16:22:34

3- I can think of round here!

lollystix Sat 01-Oct-11 20:44:09

4. One is grown up, 1 is a toddler and 2 are babies. Know alot more charlottes, emilys, evas, ellas etc though. Isla is lovely-was on our girls list. Edinburgh btw.

littlemisschatterjee Sun 02-Oct-11 20:36:12

Thanks everyone, am reassured that nobody seems to know loads (although not quite sure what your point was, Hullygully). Also, for us the different spelling has a much greater depth of meaning.

I did hear about there being two Uniques in a class in London, though not sure if that is true!

Sugarkane Sun 02-Oct-11 21:10:52

I have an 3yo Isla and have only met 1 other Isla here in Central Scotland and she was in her 20's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now