Talk

Advanced search

Melka

(12 Posts)
archieleach Wed 28-Sep-11 11:16:46

Can I ask you what you think of this name?
Any thoughts really but connotations would be useful
Thanks

belgo Wed 28-Sep-11 11:18:12

Is it dutch? I sounds like a nickname of Melanie.

minipie Wed 28-Sep-11 11:24:14

Makes me think of Milka chocolate. Not a bad thing grin

Meteorite Wed 28-Sep-11 11:24:41

It sounds like a foreign word for milk.

archieleach Wed 28-Sep-11 11:28:42

Its a Polish diminution of Amelie. We call her Amelka or Melka (and also Melchik, Melchoo and various other diminutions - but not in public)
I was just thinking about when she goes to school there may be a lot of joking about milk and various other things I may not have considered so perhaps we should just call her Amelie. But naturally we don't call her that, but Melka, hence wondering what others think... about Melka.
She's 15 mo

evamummy Wed 28-Sep-11 11:34:01

I think Melka is cute actually. And a nice nickname for Amelka, which is also lovely.

Yes, it is a little close to Milka but that's not a bad association imo smile.

mythical Fri 30-Sep-11 21:13:07

I think it's a lovely name, but where i come from it means snail!

archieleach Sat 01-Oct-11 20:04:43

Ha ha mythical.
Where do you come from, or rather what is your first language?
I'm very curious.

GobbyCah Sat 01-Oct-11 21:00:40

I know an Amelka. I like it a lot.

mythical Sat 01-Oct-11 23:49:05

Romania - melc (read as melk) means snail or slug! It's a latin language but the roots are slavic and It doesn't have a similar equivalent in any other latin languages so you should be okay! Despite this connection i make i really do like the name!

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Mon 03-Oct-11 14:41:14

I think it's lovely. I don't think kids will pay much attention - it's what her name is. I think children are accepting - it's adults who cause the problems in my experience.

archieleach Tue 04-Oct-11 10:36:58

Thanks Mythical. That is interesting. My wife's family originally came from Transylvania so Melka is about 5% Romanian (but the Hungarian speakers I think). So Melka must mean small snail. Small snails are cute I guess.
There is a chance she may go to Romania as we spent a holiday in Miclosoara with a Count. If we return it will be interesting to see people's expressions when she is introduced as "baby snail"
Slugs are gross though. I think you should put my mind at rest and tell me it usually/nearly always refers to snail not slug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now