Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Similar sounding names - bad idea?

(9 Posts)
welshhouse Tue 27-Sep-11 12:43:54

If I have a son I have to use the name Steven as a middle name - it's a family tradition. However, I really like the name Ethan as a first name and as it almost rhymes with Steven I don't think it sounds good. Should I add a second middle name, so it would be Ethan Something Steven? or does that sound silly too?
Any thoughts welcome.

welshhouse Tue 27-Sep-11 13:00:46

Forgot to say, I also like the name Evan as a first name, so maybe that would sound better confused

anewmotivatedme Tue 27-Sep-11 13:06:33

Just don't have Steven as a middle name.

Lancelottie Tue 27-Sep-11 13:10:05

No to both. It's too close to Even Stevens either way.
Back to the drawing board, I'd say.

anewmotivatedme Tue 27-Sep-11 13:11:31

I like Ethan and Evan, it seems a pity to have to start again, due to not going with middle name. I'd just rebel and break the tradition.

tiredteddy Tue 27-Sep-11 13:16:11

I once knew a Darren Allen (then surname) which and he was never bothered also my DHs step grandad is Ken Penn! if you like Ethan or Evan use it . How often in RL do you actually use your middle name anyway? Beyond the naming of babies it rarely comes up IMO. Good luck choosing!

Rhubarbgarden Tue 27-Sep-11 13:22:37

I agree with tiredteddy. Middle names are rarely used. If it really does bug you I'd go with a short extra middle name to break it up - Ethan John Steven for example.

welshhouse Tue 27-Sep-11 13:24:54

I think if I add another middle name e.g. Ethan Daniel Steven (Surname) it might not be too bad?

CurwySwide Tue 27-Sep-11 13:36:25

Agree that I would use a second middle name to break it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now