Advanced search

Need urgent advice - changing baby's name

(13 Posts)
splashymcsplash Sun 25-Sep-11 22:04:31

My dd is very nearly one. As I am no longer with her father, I would like her to have my last name too (atm she just has her dad's). I have heard you can change the birth cert up to age 1 - is this true? Also would I need to have permission from the father (he will not give it I'm sure)? We are still married if this makes any difference.

Kayano Sun 25-Sep-11 22:29:51

Pretty sure you can't if he is named on birth certificate as he has parental responsibility as well as you. Not 100% sure though.

Plus not very fair to change it behind his back if he does not consent

splashymcsplash Sun 25-Sep-11 22:52:23

It's not behind his back. I have tried contacting him many times about issues related to dd but he is ignoring me. Doesn't see dd/pay child support. Generally a shit father. A lot more I could say but I am not here to go into that, just want advice about how to proceed.

catsareevil Sun 25-Sep-11 22:55:38

If married the PR exists (and he will be on birth cert).
In any event I dont think that you can change a childs surname without agreement.

Kayano Sun 25-Sep-11 23:09:12

Post in legal for more helpful advise. I am lawless

greenzebra Mon 26-Sep-11 10:20:24
this website may help you out.

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 26-Sep-11 10:24:30

You can't change the surname on the birth certificate. You can change it by deed poll, so she'll have your surname in day-to-day life, but her birth cert. will still have the original surname she was given. The registrar was very keen to point this out to (young, unmarried) DP and I when we went to register our son using only DP's surname.

FairyArmadillo Mon 26-Sep-11 10:28:05

If you can't do it officially without ex's consent then just use your name. My 22 year old friend hasn't seen or heard from her father since she was 2 and has always been known by her mother's maiden name. It's still her father's name on BC. Two friends who use their name/their new husband's name for their sons. The latter case the biological dad was violent and abusive and has nothing to do with the boy now, but new husband treats him as if he were his own son. My son's name is double barrelled which I often regret but think he may want a link with his father when he's older. He's generally known with just one name these days- mine!

marriednotdead Mon 26-Sep-11 10:28:09

You need his consent, even with deed poll as he has PR.

ravenc Mon 26-Sep-11 10:33:14

Hi i did this with my dd1 she had xp surname i changed it by deed poll her original birth certificate still has her former surname one, when you need passports ext you send off birth certificate and deed pole i did not need fathers permission to do it i did it without him knowing. Ive never had any trouble changing any thing.

dancer13 Mon 26-Sep-11 10:35:21

It cost me £50 to change my daughters surname by deed poll. Her birth certificate has her original surname, so the deed poll certificate always has to be seen with the birth certificate.

It is more difficult to change a child's name on their passport, so change your DDs name before you apply for the passport unless she already has one of course.

greenzebra Mon 26-Sep-11 10:41:14

read the info from the above link and you will see you can change the name if the father can not be found or is not in contact, it lays it all out for you in the link and tells you what you have to do to get it changed without the fathers consent.

splashymcsplash Mon 26-Sep-11 19:38:27

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies. Will look into it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: