Talk

Advanced search

Your thoughts on 'Amoura'....

(16 Posts)
somethingkindaoooh Sun 25-Sep-11 17:59:29

We are really struggling to agree on ANY names but both seem to quite like this if bump is a DD...any thoughts on it?!

meditrina Sun 25-Sep-11 18:03:36

I like it, but would spell it Amora.

ForYourDreamsAreChina Sun 25-Sep-11 18:09:23

Sounds made up, and like a cheap perfume to me. Sorry.

RitaMorgan Sun 25-Sep-11 18:14:13

I would think you meant Aurora.

Amoura sounds like an Aldi room freshener!

scarlettlips Sun 25-Sep-11 18:25:35

Not really my cup of tea....Amora is better than Amoura. Sweet meaning through..

nooka Sun 25-Sep-11 18:35:48

I'm not keen either, somehow it sounds slightly lecherous. But I could be pronouncing it quite wrongly!

What sorts of names do you and your dh like - perhaps we could help you think of some more ideas?

TangerineQueen Sun 25-Sep-11 19:27:33

Also prefer without the u. With the u it does look like a perfume or an underwear or contraceptive or something.

I like the idea though. Amora could be grown into.

canistartagainplease Sun 25-Sep-11 19:33:54

Pretencious, unless its a family name

belgo Sun 25-Sep-11 19:42:09

Prefer Amara.

yellowsubmarine41 Sun 25-Sep-11 19:44:05

Amira, Amara, Ayla, Amora all much nice imho.

Amoura looks like someone's tried to individualise 'love'. Wouldn't get my vote sorry.

Tenebrist Sun 25-Sep-11 19:50:18

Oh dear, we have a bit of an embarrassing history with that name (well, it's all DH's fault actually). About 9 years ago some people we know had their second DC a few weeks after we had ours. DH sees other DH to congratulate him and asks baby's name. 'Amora' comes the answer. Now the other DH has a dreadful reputation as a leg-puller with a bit of a weird sense of humour, so DH says, 'Oh yeah very funny, now what's the baby's real name?'. Turns out that Amora is the name of the DW's sadly deceased mother blush and baby is named in her honour. DH had to do some pretty quick back-peddling on that one.

But anyway, that was his reaction to Amora - sheer disbelief.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sun 25-Sep-11 19:55:16

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's Amoura"

Paraphrasing obviously, but it does sound like you're celebrating the lurve that made her. Not keen, sorry.

ShoutyHamster Mon 26-Sep-11 09:44:33

AWFUL.

Sounds like a cheap perfume or air-freshener, and totally made up in a not good at all way.

Aurora, Amara, Amelia, Amelie - will none of these REAL names do instead?

Meteorite Mon 26-Sep-11 09:45:20

Excellent suggestions from ShoutyHamster.

meditrina Mon 26-Sep-11 17:24:58

Another near sound-alike is Maura.

IndieNile Mon 26-Sep-11 20:06:39

Hideous name, so is Amora which is a brand of mayonnaise and ketchup.

Amira is pretty and means `princess` in Arabic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now