Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts or alternatives?

(9 Posts)
LiviaAugusta Sat 24-Sep-11 19:20:18

DH has vetoed most of my name suggestions without suggesting much in the way of alternatives! His only suggestion which he's completely stuck on is Angus if it's a boy which is a good name but with a Scottish surname I think it would be Scottish overload when we're not from there. He thinks my names are too 'posh' so I was wondering what you all thought and whether you could suggest any good alternatives? My suggestions are:
Boy- William, Thomas, Bryn, Rufus, Reuben, Corin
Girl- Genevieve (which I love), Romilly, Charlotte, Naomi, Kitty (Catherine), Delphine/Delphi, Beatrice.
DS is Owen, any ideas before pregnancy hormones cause me to lock DH in a room with a baby names book and refuse to let him out?

Deesus Sat 24-Sep-11 19:23:55

Don't think any of the boys names are especially 'posh' (except for Rufus).

Of the girls names Genevieve, Romily and Delphine are a bit posh I would say (but I think they're lovely).

Also I don't see why locking your DH in a room with a baby names book is a problem in the slightest! grin

MissHonkover Sat 24-Sep-11 19:35:50

In my opionion William and Thomas are a bit dull, Rufus and Corin are a bit posh, Bryn makes me think of Gavin and Stacey, and I love Rueben.

I love Romilly and Delphine, Charlotte is dull, Genevieve and Beatrice are fine, Kitty is nice and Naomi is awful.

Owen is lovely, by the way! You need that inspiration to strike again, did you lock DH in a room with the book last time? grin

Psammead Sat 24-Sep-11 20:06:14

I would go with Rufus and Beatrice from your list - both very nice! I may try and sneak Rufus onto my list in fact.

Rory
Patrick
Hector
Steffan

Felicity
Penelope
Francesca
Matilda

Are my suggestions.

I have a Naomi, so MrsH is clearly wrong! smile

Love Naomi, Charlotte and Catherine/Kitty and Beatrice. Don't like Romilly, which I think has less elegance than the others.
Love Owen. Like William and Thomas. Don't like Bryn or Corin.

LiviaAugusta Sat 24-Sep-11 20:15:09

Thanks for the input! MissHonkover we adore DS's name too, it was a joint decision through me suggesting Rowan and we just knew it would be perfect, if only we could have that flash of inspiration again! I've never seen Gavin & Stacey but I think Bryn might be off the list as I don't want anything associated too much with a celebrity or television show. Matilda's a good suggestion, it's a lovely name.

BibiBelle Sat 24-Sep-11 21:25:38

DD1 would have been Corin had she been blue and we're certainly not 'posh'

What about Callan?

mathanxiety Sun 25-Sep-11 04:23:53

Love Beatrice.
Suggest Emma, Lucy, Jane, Lara, Esme...

For boys, I suggest Willem instead of William, which can maybe sound a bit prim as opposed to posh, Rory instead of Rufus, and Arran or Callum instead of Corin.

Reuben and Thomas are both nice imo and I wouldn't call either of them posh. Thomas would be my choice of the two. Thomas (or Tom) and Owen sound good together.

Bryn and Owen together would suggest a Welsh trend.

LiviaAugusta Sun 25-Sep-11 16:43:38

Tom and Owen do sound good together, I agree! Bryn and Owen do sound very Welsh together, I'm half Welsh but don't live there and as SIL's just given her DD the most Welsh name possible think Bryn's definitely off the list now. William I love but DH doesn't as it's already a family name and he wants to go away from that, Willem not sure about. Callan, not heard that name before...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now