Talk

Advanced search

maximus, sergio, angelo

(11 Posts)
TallulahBlue Thu 22-Sep-11 22:47:21

Need to choose a greek boys name
i have 3 on my list but struggling to pick the one!
Would they be better as a middle name maybe?

ttalloo Thu 22-Sep-11 22:52:05

Do you live in the UK? They don't anglicise very well, especially Sergios and Angelos.

Meteorite Thu 22-Sep-11 22:54:39

Maximus is nice.

TallulahBlue Thu 22-Sep-11 22:54:56

yep UK
don't like it with the s at the end though

ttalloo Thu 22-Sep-11 22:57:03

I agree they sound better in English without the S at the end, but then they become Italian rather than Greek names.

And Maximus is really a Roman rather than a Greek name.

TallulahBlue Thu 22-Sep-11 23:00:37

There is actually a Greek name day for Maiximus
it seems to be getting popular now though

ttalloo Thu 22-Sep-11 23:07:13

Is there? I never knew that - although I did know a Maximus once, who lived up to what was then an extremely unusual name.

It does shorten nicely to Max, but I'm not keen; Sergios and Angelos are lovely in Greek but they sound horrible in English if you don't drop the S, and if you do drop the S they're not Greek any more.

I like Elias and Constantine. And Pericles, shortened to Perry, but I'm sure that would be pronounced by far too many people to rhyme with testicles....

Penthesileia Thu 22-Sep-11 23:11:53

As ttalloo says, Maximus is Roman. The (ancient) Greek equivalent would be Megistos.

If you leave off the "s", people will assume you meant to give your child an Italian name. Sergio and Angelo are Italian names.

I assume you're looking for modern Greek names, though? What about:

Yanni
Nikos
Elias
Mikhael

Penthesileia Thu 22-Sep-11 23:17:04

Sorry, x-posted. Didn't know about Greek Saint Maximus. I think most (non Greeks) would only be familiar with it as a Roman name.

ttalloo Thu 22-Sep-11 23:20:05

The most immediate association with Maximus for me is Gladiator.

It just doesn't sound Greek, even if it is more Greek than I thought (and let's face it, if a name has its own saint, its Greek provenance is fairly assured smile).

AgathaTrunchbull Fri 23-Sep-11 20:26:40

Plenty of modern English names are derived from Greek, e.g.

- George
- Nicholas
- Theodore
- Andrew
- Sebastian

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now