Talk

Advanced search

C a o d h i n n

(15 Posts)
Moanna Thu 22-Sep-11 19:26:56

A relative has just named their gorgeous new baby this... how do you pronounce it? I don't want to look silly and ask, but I have never seen it before and nothing comes up on Google.

We're in Ireland btw.

(Sorry for the spaces, I don't want to be Googleable seeing as nothing came up before)

Moanna Thu 22-Sep-11 19:31:43

Sorry I should have said the baby is a girl.

suzikettles Thu 22-Sep-11 19:55:21

Kay-in?

Disclaimer: this is a complete guess based on a very sketchy knowledge of Irish/Scottish Gaelic pronunciation. Very sketchy..

ShowOfHands Thu 22-Sep-11 19:58:28

Deffo not a typo? I'd ask as it's not a name.

My best guess is that it's an invented spelling of a Kaeden/Caden type name.

almondfinger Thu 22-Sep-11 20:03:53

kweeveen

Moanna Thu 22-Sep-11 20:04:43

Definitely not a typo, the dad has announced it on Facebook with the weight, time of birth and a picture.

suzikettles Thu 22-Sep-11 20:20:40

I think that given it's obviously extremely unusual (if not probably made up...), it would be completely fine to reply along the lines of:

"Congratulations! And what a lovely name. How are you pronouncing it?"

suzikettles Thu 22-Sep-11 20:22:15

And as long as, when he answers "Caroline" you don't scoff and mock, but reply "that's lovely and so unusual" then all will be well. wink

Moanna Thu 22-Sep-11 20:45:19

Right, I'll bite the bullet and ask. I thought maybe I was missing something as no one else has yet.

Thank you smile

Jewley Thu 22-Sep-11 20:48:29

I don't think that's a 'real' name. It looks very similar to the Irish word for Wednesday which is Céadaoin. If so, it's probably pronounced Kay-dean. But that's a complete guess.

mamsnet Thu 22-Sep-11 20:51:42

SoH is probably right.. Do let us know, OP! grin

The old Irish names game is giving us plenty to chew on these days, eh? wink

HardCheese Thu 22-Sep-11 23:06:43

I agree it's a 'made-up' name whose spelling is very messed around, and it doesn't work, for me at least, in terms of conventional Irish pronunciation. 'Dh' in that position would normally be pronounced as an initial 'y' sound (as in 'you' or 'yap'), but if you combine that with the first syllable, the name as a whole would come out sounding something like 'caoin' - which is Irish for 'cry' or 'lament'. hmm

TryLikingClarity Fri 23-Sep-11 14:43:04

I agree with Jewly, I also think it's pronounced Kay-dean.

Let us know what the craic is when you hear back from the parents!

mamsnet Fri 23-Sep-11 14:47:44

My younger sister always says that next thing people will be calling their little darlings Fuinneog, Leaba and the likes.. grin

Moanna Fri 23-Sep-11 15:35:30

It's pronounced Kayden. Apparently the female version of Aiden.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now