Talk

Advanced search

An Annie & an Edie - bit much?

(20 Posts)
ja99 Thu 22-Sep-11 16:26:50

We have a 2 year old called Annie & I'm pretty convinced we're having another girl due in 7 weeks. I like Edith/Edie but am a bit concerned that Annie & Edie sound a bit similar/silly when said together, 'I have 2 girls called Annie & Edie'... Am I being overly-cautious?!

strandednomore Thu 22-Sep-11 16:28:43

No I think they sound nice together. Edie has become quite popular but it's a lovely name.

ja99 Thu 22-Sep-11 16:35:22

Thanks strandednomore, I know I thought the same about Edie getting v. popular but just checked the Top 100 & still no sign of it! I guess it's just on the way up though...

kenobi Thu 22-Sep-11 16:39:47

They're lovely names by by golly they're hard to say together. Just read out the title of your thread...

tummytickler Thu 22-Sep-11 17:07:24

I agree - very difficult to say together!
Annie is lovely, Edie isn't a patch on that. Do you like anything else.

ja99 Thu 22-Sep-11 18:53:29

Yep, I see what you mean, although I don't think the 'an' helps as in just saying 'Annie & Edie' not quite as tricky?? The only other name I really like is Ellen but don't like Ellie which is doubtless what she'd end up getting called......

ja99 Thu 22-Sep-11 18:55:57

Oh, also love Emily but it's now no.3 or something - not that I mind popularity but if you're in a class with 4 other Emilys it's no longer quite as special I don't think.....

Meteorite Thu 22-Sep-11 19:01:16

Annie and Edie are both lovely names. Together there's a bit of "Annie Indeedy" though.

How about Annie and...

Elspeth
Eliza
Eloise
Evelina
Estella
Esther

charlatan Thu 22-Sep-11 20:44:51

I think they sound great together. We've already got an Archie and are considering Edie for our girl due in 3 weeks.

smother Thu 22-Sep-11 21:30:59

Annie and Tess.

For some reason, that sprung to my mind when I read this as an alternative.

Annie and Edie ok though.

tammytoby Thu 22-Sep-11 21:37:37

Annie and Edie are ok, but I think cutey type names like these may soon fall out of favour, so I'd definately call her Edith

ja99 Mon 03-Oct-11 13:26:38

Thanks all, sorry I disappeared off my own thread - broadband gave up due to fairly major building works in our house- great when you're 36 weeks pregnant!
Thanks Meteorite for all your suggestions - some lovely names in there but I think has really helped me come to the conclusion that I love the name Edith the most.
Smother - Tess makes me think of 'ten ton Tessie' which was a mean insult to larger kids at my primary school (maybe that was just in Ireland tho').

Charlatan - if you can have an Archie & an Edie I think I can maybe get away with Annie & Edie / Edith. Nothing else is really tickling my fancy quite as much...... :0

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Mon 03-Oct-11 13:41:24

I think that they are fine together but Edie does need Edith as a fn I think. Most Ellens I've met have not been known as Ellie/Elle just Ellen if that helps.

DouzeQuinze Mon 03-Oct-11 13:45:58

Ellen is really nice, and you could shorten it to Nell if you don't like Ellie. Annie & Nell?

pilates Mon 03-Oct-11 15:44:16

Annie and Nell sounds lovely.

ja99 Mon 03-Oct-11 19:26:18

Hmmmmnm I do like Nell too - is it really a viable shortening of Ellen though or is that cheating?! Well, feels like I have 2 names in the bag now & can try them out when the baby arrives & see which suits best... thanks all!

pranma Mon 03-Oct-11 20:50:52

I love Edith/Edie remember Nellie the elephant if you are thinking of nell though.

StiffyByng Mon 03-Oct-11 22:51:35

We have Edith/Edie and so many people have said they really love the name. They are usually referring to Edith rather than Edie though. Go for it. I think the names are lovely and if we have another girl, I'm thinking of Anna for her.

ja99 Tue 04-Oct-11 10:11:20

Thanks for the vote of confidence StiffyByng. Our Annie's 'official' name on her birth certificate is actually Anna but much to her grandparents' consternation we started calling her Annie almost immediately. I love the idea of getting 2 names for the price of 1 ;-)

ShoutyHamster Tue 04-Oct-11 12:19:42

Anna is lovely, Edie is nice too but VERY popular and 'current'. It would be likely to date a bit more than Anna, which is truly classic. No offence to any Edies out there!

Ellen shortened to Nell is nice. How about:

Josephine nn Posy
Eleanor nn Nell
Beatrice nn Bea
Lucy nn Lulu
Sarah nn Sally
Megan nn Meg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now