Talk

Advanced search

Ben ?

(24 Posts)
frazzled74 Wed 21-Sep-11 21:56:34

what do people think of this name ? dh likes it a lot but i cant get eastenders ben out of my mind, its a shame because i actually do like the name and it is the only one that dh has suggested that i dont hate!

tummytickler Wed 21-Sep-11 21:58:38

I don't watch Eastenders, but I assume with a name as popular as Ben it won't be an association people will make.
Ben is nice, but I only like it as a nn for Benjamin or Benedict, which are both lovely.

Meteorite Wed 21-Sep-11 21:59:08

Nice as nickname for Benedict. Not so fussed about Benjamin, it's a bit wet.

Tunicandtrousers Wed 21-Sep-11 22:01:29

Dull, dull, dull, dull, dull, dull

oh yes and................

dull

What about Bear or Hal if you want something short?

webwiz Wed 21-Sep-11 22:11:34

DS is a Ben and it suited him when he was little and now that he's 14 it still seems to suit him. He'd be mortified by Bear!

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Wed 21-Sep-11 22:32:12

grin

OK, I don't watch it, but I think the name Ben transcends even Eastenders. You'd be daft to let that association put you off. smile

Rhubarbgarden Wed 21-Sep-11 22:36:00

Boring.

orangehead Wed 21-Sep-11 22:36:25

Ben in Eastenders? Haven't got a clue. I was thinking more Ben 10. Personally I don't like Ben but for about a year and a half ds2 kept asking me to stop calling him by his name and he insisted I called him Ben (after Ben 10), so I think he likes it.

BikeRunSki Wed 21-Sep-11 22:39:16

It's fine, don't watch EE, no associations with the name Ben, but as a nn.

Benjamin, Benedict, Benoit?

jellybeans Wed 21-Sep-11 23:18:44

I like it. Don't like the long forms though, just Ben.

frazzled74 Thu 22-Sep-11 06:00:37

thanks, i think that will make our shortlist then, i do like boring boys names, cant see me ith a bear!

tammytoby Thu 22-Sep-11 11:03:45

Dull, very dull - and very widely used already.

Never watched EE, so no idea what the characaters there are called.

Hopintobed Thu 22-Sep-11 12:29:40

See this is the thing with asking opinions! There'll always be a mixed bag of reactions some saying it's a classic solid name, others saying it's dull. But then I'd rather be dull and have a ben then have something utterly bonkers like Bear???! I hate names where people snigger and think wtf?? But that's just my opinion. I love Ben, think it's a nice name. Won't get singled out for having a wacky name. I think classic names like that won't date nearly as much as the more modern, funky names. Good choice! I have a DS called joseph and am pregnant with another little boy who we are thinking of callong Thomas. Nothing wrong with 'dull' names. They'll never go out of fashion!

brodanbell Thu 22-Sep-11 13:16:15

I like Ben, it would make my shortlist. I'm not so keen on Benjamin though, which is annoying as I don't particularly see the point in giving a child a full name only to shorten it, but yet I wouldn't want just Ben on the birth cert. It's an odd one for me! I think it is a good classic that works for all ages.

HeidiHole Thu 22-Sep-11 13:19:03

Benjamin makes me think Benjaminge as a boy at school was called that (as a joke... he was actually Benjamin obviously)

FebreezeYourJeans Thu 22-Sep-11 13:24:15

I have a Ben - just a Ben, and it suits him.

I didn't like Benjamin much and although I thought I liked Benedict, a dear friend of mine went through teenage hell as 'Bendy-Dick' and begged and pleaded with me not to go there grin

emmyloo2 Fri 23-Sep-11 05:58:48

Sooooo popular at the moment. I know 3 born at the same time as my DS. It is a nice name but agree with the poster above it's too dull for my taste. Nothing inherently offensive about it though.

RnB Fri 23-Sep-11 06:01:08

I have a Ben/Benedict. It's a good, solid and classic name

stegasaurus Fri 23-Sep-11 09:30:34

I really like it, but I don't watch Eastenders so don't know what the connotations are. I couldn't use it as DH already had a nephew named Ben.

bohobaby Fri 23-Sep-11 09:32:22

Nice name but loads around here

RoxyRobin Fri 23-Sep-11 09:43:11

I have a Ben, and have found it's a name that grows with you. It seemed cute when he was little, and now that he's a big hulking thing it seems solid and manly (like a Scottish mountain?).

evamummy Fri 23-Sep-11 12:34:57

Quite widely used round here, so quite a few Ben's are known as Ben A. or Ben B. I wonder whether Ben10 has made it more popular?

pilates Fri 23-Sep-11 13:12:57

Agree with Hopintobed

mopsyflopsy Fri 23-Sep-11 13:49:46

I personally think there are far nicer, less overused names out there, but the OP has to love the name, not the rest of us smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now