Talk

Advanced search

Thomas

(23 Posts)
Hopintobed Wed 21-Sep-11 19:45:32

OK apologies for this being yet another name thread by me. I recently started one asking about Finlay and have decided against using it. The other name we le both like is Thomas. I know it's popular (dull??) but it's classic and since we have a ds called Joseph it seems to fit well and can be shortened easily. Thoughts please?

Meteorite Wed 21-Sep-11 19:49:14

Not dull at all - classic and Biblical, fits well with your other DS' name.

Hopintobed Wed 21-Sep-11 19:53:02

Thank you. It was DH who has a very classic (he says boring!) name who thinks Thomas is a bit dull although we do like it.

Hopintobed Wed 21-Sep-11 20:01:36

Thinking of Daniel for a middle name.

pilates Wed 21-Sep-11 20:12:37

Thomas is so much nicer than Finlay

Truffleshuffler Wed 21-Sep-11 20:16:56

Love Thomas

MurunBuchstansangur Wed 21-Sep-11 20:18:46

cough boring cough

faverolles Wed 21-Sep-11 20:19:05

I love Thomas too.

addictedtofrazzles Wed 21-Sep-11 20:28:17

I have a THomas so obviously LOVE it - he is a Tommy though!

tummytickler Wed 21-Sep-11 20:28:48

Thomas is a much better fit with Joseph and far, far nicer than Finlay.

Tom is a lovely name for a bloke too I always think

Catsycat Wed 21-Sep-11 20:53:52

It's nice, it's classic, and not cutesy. Would suit a man as well as a little boy.

phlossie Wed 21-Sep-11 21:24:43

I wouldn't tend to go for a very popular name, but if I did, I'd go for something solid and classic like Thomas. It's a very nice name - and better than a 'fashionable' one. You can't go wrong, really. A very good friend of mine has a Joseph, Edward (Ned for short) and Thomas.

AtAmber Wed 21-Sep-11 21:30:12

Ds3 was nearly Finlay, we called him Thomas. Ds1 is Daniel, ds2's middle name is Joseph. I think you have very good taste! I'm glad that we didn't call him Finlay. He is 4 now and there are loads of Finlays and we only know one other Thomas.

AtAmber Wed 21-Sep-11 21:31:22

Ds3 was nearly Finlay, we called him Thomas. Ds1 is Daniel, ds2's middle name is Joseph. I think you have very good taste! I'm glad that we didn't call him Finlay. He is 4 now and there are loads of Finlays and we only know one other Thomas.

Hopintobed Thu 22-Sep-11 07:49:12

Oh how funny AtAmber we must both have impecable taste wink ! I think it's a good strong name and to be honest I don't know any other Thomas'. There's none in Joseph's class at school (he's 4) and haven't come accross any at any toddler play groups when he was younger so hopefully it's not toooooooo overly used.

justabigdisco Thu 22-Sep-11 08:01:20

Thomas is a great name, I'd have it myself but my husband doesn't want it (he has loads of friends called Tom and thinks it would be too many Toms)

LiviaAugusta Thu 22-Sep-11 17:56:01

Thomas is a great name and is on our list for if bump turns out to be blue (Joseph's also on the list). The only thing slightly putting me off at the moment is DS's current obssession with a small blue Tank Engine... It's a great name though, classic and not dull IMO. I like the shortened version of Tom too.

emmyloo2 Fri 23-Sep-11 06:01:10

Thomas fits much better with Joseph than Finlay. I do like it but I refuse to have it on my future baby list on the grounds that there are so many babies being called Thomas. I prefer Nicholas. Used much less frequently.

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Wed 28-Sep-11 11:12:10

I have a Thomas and love the name smile

minipie Wed 28-Sep-11 11:27:40

I like Thomas but I prefer Daniel. Would you consider Daniel Thomas rather than Thomas Daniel?

Both better than Finlay smile

evamummy Wed 28-Sep-11 11:36:19

I thought Thomas was up there in the ONS lists, certainly in the top 10, but I could be wrong. There are certainly quite a few Toms round here. This may or may not bother you.

But yes, Thomas is much nicer than Finley.

Mondayschild78 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:19:54

DH and I both like Thomas and considered it strongly for DS1 who is due imminently, we do have a Tom (adult), Thomas (4 year old) and Tommy (adult) already in the (fairly close) family plus a good friend with an 8 month old Thomas/Tommy so we decided against it for now. If we have a DS2 in future though I think we might go with it then!! It is a lovely classic name and has good nn variations, I'm sure you won't regret choosing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now