Talk

Advanced search

Help! Have to register tomorrow and still haven't finally decided...

(14 Posts)
roadrunnerbeepbeep Wed 21-Sep-11 16:28:02

DP really wants Cora as a first name - even before we had decided he'd told everyone that was it. I actually wanted Millie, Laura, Beth or Amy. I think I can get used to Cora, although I think it can be bit hard sounding but we still need to chose a mn. So what do you think of the following?

Cora Rose
Cora Amelia
Cora Diana
Cora Beth
Cora Niamh
Cora Anne

Alternatively, we could switch to Cora as a middle name - and use one of the mn above as a first name. (Laura Cora would be weird so that wouldn't work).

roadrunnerbeepbeep Wed 21-Sep-11 16:30:13

Should have added - only other names DP really liked are Molly (which is ok) and Cassiopeia - which I think would just be cruel.

picnicbasketcase Wed 21-Sep-11 16:31:48

Cora Beth sounds too Little House on the Prairie and Cora Amelia is a bit of a mouthful but any of the others sound okay. Amy Cora sounds nicest if you were going to switch to having Cora as a MN.

roadrunnerbeepbeep Wed 21-Sep-11 16:42:18

Think I agree with you about Cora Beth. That's one out..

AAAvegetable Wed 21-Sep-11 17:25:06

Cora Anne sounds like The Koran so I would avoid that.

Cora Amelia and Cora Diana are both quite hard to say. Cora Rose sounds like "Cor! A Rose!". Cora Beth very American. So its Cora Niamh for me.

TBH I would not settle for a name that I just though I could get used to. You need a name you love. And in my opinion your choices are all nicer that Cora. If you like Millie and your DP likes Molly (two very similar names) then surely there is a compromise to be had.

picnicbasketcase Wed 21-Sep-11 17:28:49

Good point about Cora Anne / Koran, I didn't notice that one.

Is tomorrow the appointment you have booked to register the birth or the last day you're legally meant to do it? Because AAAvegetable is right - maybe you should both go through the name books/websites together again rather than settle for a name you don't really like.

roadrunnerbeepbeep Wed 21-Sep-11 17:39:48

really good point about Cora Anne! It's the last day we're able to do it - in Scotland so only 21 days - and closed for holidays after tomorrow!

The idea of choosing a name together is very sensible but sadly DP isn't.

ChessPiece Wed 21-Sep-11 17:48:40

Anne Cora sounds a bit like "anchor"

I like

Cora Millie
Amy Cora

MyRightToAdvice Wed 21-Sep-11 17:56:31

i think a basic rule is not to have a mn beginning with A or R after Cora, and preferably none ending with a.

Having said that, i actually quite like the sound of Cora Diana. Cora Millie is nice too.

roadrunnerbeepbeep Wed 21-Sep-11 18:52:37

myright- not sure I really get that basic rule.

Cora Millie - or even Millie Cora - might suit her.

It was so much easier with DD1. I chose within hours of her being born - and with a name that wasn't even on our shortlist.

pilates Wed 21-Sep-11 20:25:23

I agree with you Cora sounds a bit hard, I would use it for a middle name if your DH loves it so much.

How about Elizabeth Cora, Alexandra Cora or Madeline Cora?

Think you need a longer first name if you have Cora as a middle.

Catsycat Wed 21-Sep-11 21:01:15

I liked Cora Beth, it sounds pretty.

Cora Niamh is the only other one that works for me from that list.

I don't think Cora works as a middle name with any of the others - think pilates is right that the first name would need to be longer.

hester Wed 21-Sep-11 21:11:21

I think Cora is a lovely name, but agree with others that you need to love it.

Cora works well with Niamh, but not really with the others. It needs something longer than doesn't begin with a vowel: how about Cora Matilda, Cora Siobhan, Cora Josephine, Cora Tamara, Cora Lydia, Cora Hannah, Cora Julia?

I like all your name choices too, but none of them really work with Cora as a middle name.

roadrunnerbeepbeep Wed 21-Sep-11 22:15:40

Thanks everyone. Will have to sleep on it and settle it in the morning. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now